General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paddington or Pooh bear?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 2 Aug 2004 09:36

Who is the more popular, the English Paddington Bear or the American Pooh Bear? I have cross stitched lots of Paddington Bear pictures for our toilet walls, also small handtowels for by the washbasin. On the other hand, my granddaughter wants everything Pooh Bear. Should we take a vote? Sylvia

Lizrr

Lizrr Report 2 Aug 2004 09:38

Well Pooh Bear gets my vote my grandkids love him So do LOL

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Aug 2004 09:38

I prefer Paddington. Despite the fact that many friends and family are very taken with Pooh I have always found him rather "icky", though I do have a soft spot for Eeyore. My own children liked Susannah Gretz's bears when they were younger, but preferred their own. Older sons bears are called Brooklyn [nothing to do with the Beckhams, he is a speaking bear and speaks with a New York accent] and Bootsy [because he came from Boots]. Helen

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 2 Aug 2004 09:55

I'm a paddigton Bear and marmalade sandwich type of girlie. In london there is a musuem of Paddigton and I just had to have my piccie taken with him ( after my baby's of course lol) Much happiness Debi

syljo

syljo Report 2 Aug 2004 10:13

Hi Strump, You may be right, but I always thought Pooh was American. Anybody know for sure? Maybe Judy in the States! Sylvia

Julie

Julie Report 2 Aug 2004 10:18

Pooh Bear is English, but has been Americanised through Disney. I have to go with Pooh Bear as Eeyore is my absolute favourite. Even have him on my fob watch for work! Julie

syljo

syljo Report 2 Aug 2004 10:20

Thanks Julie, sorry for misleading anybody. Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Aug 2004 10:21

Pooh bear is very definitely English and the original stories were written by A.A. Milne, whose own son was called Christopher Robin. Their house had a garden with a river where they played "Poohsticks". Pooh himself was based on Christopher's own bear. You can see a photo of the original and more details about Christopher here: www.*teddy-bear-uk.*com/learning/famous/crobin*.htm remove * first.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Aug 2004 10:23

Much easier to find Paddington station!

syljo

syljo Report 2 Aug 2004 10:24

Sounds fantastic, my granddaughter would love it. Doubt whether I've time to visit in September, but if I can then I will. Many thanks again. Sylvia

Fairy

Fairy Report 2 Aug 2004 13:47

I love Pooh bear, but I'm sure he started out as an English bear written by AA Milne around 1928. Walt Disney put a red jumper on him. Maybe he has duel citizenship now! Jo.

syljo

syljo Report 2 Aug 2004 15:04

I think I "ought to eat my hat" in calling Pooh American. Poor old Pooh, you do seem to be English. Sorry Pooh. Sylvia