General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Noisy dog - update

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 2 Aug 2004 10:46

A few days ago I asked for advice on how to deal with a neighbour's noisy dog. I had some lovely answers and took them on board. Firstly I wouldn't/couldn't take him for a walk as he is too boisterous, you can't even get to the front door plus (with no offence meant to anyone) I'm not a doggy person. BUT I have spoken to their son and they know that he is a pest but are not prepared to do anything about him. So do I put up with the incessant howling or do I take this matter further and involve the Council??? Julie

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Aug 2004 10:52

You shouldn't have to put up with extra noise. If you have tried eveything else without success then get the council involved

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Aug 2004 10:59

The fact that you are concerned enough to speak to their son and post this here tells me you aren't prepared to put up with it and why should you? I'd ring the council for an informal talk and seek their advice. You can't be the only person this affects. I am sure this woman has enough on her plate coping with her husband, but if this dog isn't getting enough attention, walks etc then it is being neglected. Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Aug 2004 12:34

I think the council or who ever will give you a recording machjine. When l left Sussex the lady who bought my house had an alsation (German Shephard),which barked everytime it herad any noise and was shut in the house from 6.30am to 6pm (you can imagine how bad l felt,for my neighbours and the poor dog) anyway neighbours were not willing to complain to council, so l did,BUT as you can imagine l am tooo far away. The said most prob the noise would have to recorded and to keep a diary - good luck. jude sarf wales

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Aug 2004 15:31

julie i think the son should have try to resolve the matter better with you but sounds like he can't be bothered.how would he like it if the tables were turned?i think you should go to the council or failing that go to your local citizens advice bureau who can assist you on the matter.good luckx

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 2 Aug 2004 16:02

Prehaps before you go to the council you'd like to give them a second chance - maybe you cayght the son on an off day? Better still talk to his Mum and Dad as the son may not have passed on your concerns. Last thing they'd want are strangers on the doorstep etc from local authorities. If gentle persuassion and sensible reasoning doesn't prevail you only have 2 choices either to put up and shut up lol or the Local Authorty. I do hope your able to reach an amicable end : ) Noise of any kind is not nice. Much happiness Debi

Felicity

Felicity Report 2 Aug 2004 16:04

Well done for taking your courage in both hands and talking to the family. Some people have no idea though, do they? I'm so sorry that they have responded in this way, it's so unhelpful. I agree with everyone here that you don't have to just put up with it now. Other neighbours must be affected too, so finding out their views would be good, and every council seems to have a different system and policy, so asking them for their advice as to what to do next would also be a good idea. Years ago my parents had a similar problem and the council sent an official round to have a quiet word and they were very non-commital about who had made the complaint. Once the owners knew that they couldn't just ignore the problem, but had to deal with it, it was sorted quite quickly, though I can't remember now what they did about it!