General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cheap basic printer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jen

Jen Report 2 Aug 2004 14:19

what is the best printer to buy i only want one for basic print out for kids home works ect so want something thats cheap on cartridges as im finding the lexmark expensive it doesnt need to do photos as im having a separate one for that

Melinda

Melinda Report 2 Aug 2004 14:55

hi jen, william is right,my dad had a lexmark too and it was cheaper to buy a new printer than the ink cartridges for that, but like william says you can get compatable cartridges at half the price. melinda

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Aug 2004 14:59

In practice, the "compatible" catridges last approximately one third to one half the amount of time that the "genuine" ones do. I haven't seen much of a saving, so always stick with the genuine (HP) ones. As to the original question - I'm pretty sure that you should be able to get a black and white printer for about £30. Epson, HP, Lexmark - all fairly good quality.

Jen

Jen Report 2 Aug 2004 15:59

thank you for your answers as william says you can get the compatible ones but im still looking at 40 pounds in stead of 60 which i find expensive when the kids are just printing things off for school . the kids will be using it more next term so i need something a bit more economical as the budget is a bit tight they have there own computer so it will not be a waste of money to go out and buy another printer so long as i can save a bit on catridges.jenny will check out index thanks

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Aug 2004 16:26

Jen, did you look at the site Tony got for you? Those were Lexmark cartridges at a fraction of the cost. i get my Epson cartridges from them. I wouldn't advise compatible cartridges now, although I used to use them, I too have had a problem with blocked jets. Ann Glos

Lucky

Lucky Report 2 Aug 2004 16:30

I've recently bought another HP printer from Comet. The one I got last year was only £29.99 with two full cartridges. Extremely happy with it. I refilled the cartridges several times using a JR inkjet kit. When the colour one wasn't any good for refilling anymore, I bought another HP online from Comet for £24.99 with free delivery (this was only last month) Again very happy. It was actually cheaper to do it this way than buy another cartridge. We get through a lot of printing in my hyouse, this way works out cheapest for me. Hope it's some help. Diane

badger

badger Report 2 Aug 2004 16:54

Make sure that if you go for Lexmark ,that it is compatible with your version of windows ,they don,t work very well with millenium ,and at last check ,they wouln,t run with xp at all.I brought an epson 3200 four months ago ,it does every thing ,including print photos ,very good quality ,has no problem so far with pretendy cartridges,and was reasonably priced £40 ,on offer at index.fred.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 2 Aug 2004 17:10

Jen, if your looking at text and black and white graphics. I would really consider a "cheap" laser, the toners can be a little expensive but they last a long time. You can also get refill kits. I have had a Brother laser for about eight years now and it's still ok. Changed the toner once. Have a look on http://www.ebuyer*com The Samsung looks good at around £70. Have a look at the customer reviews. I have used this site a lot they are very, very, good. Bob

Jen

Jen Report 2 Aug 2004 18:04

ann yes i did thank you will be ordering them but i want one for the kids computer but want to make sure the cartridges are going to be alittle cheaper as there the ones that use the ink like water lol. dianne i use that inkjet refill you should of seen the state of the place and me and it still didnt work.lol may be will retry it again tonight on the lexmark. hubby says he will take me to comet tomorrow to check them out when i get the car back. thank you all for your help:-)

Jane

Jane Report 2 Aug 2004 19:07

Jen, i have a Canon printer, the printer was only about 30 pounds, and the cartridges are 5.99 each, and thats genuine ones not the refill things....... bargain or what, i bought a canon purely for the price of the cartridges !!! Jane

Jen

Jen Report 2 Aug 2004 19:30

sharpie that sounds about right for my kids can i ask where you got it from and what cannon is it