General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Retaining maiden name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 4 Aug 2004 20:30

Did you take your husband's surname on when you married or did you keep your own maiden name? Sylvia

Tischris

Tischris Report 4 Aug 2004 20:56

I married for the 2nd time & didn't want my 2 children from my 1st marraige to have a different surname to us........so I kept the children's surname & added it with a hyphen to my new husband's name. We have a son together & he has (rightfully so) my 2nd husbands surname. It was strange at 1st but it's nice that I share my children's names :o)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 4 Aug 2004 20:57

Sylvia - I kept my maiden name, because:- a) I married at 35 and didn't want to change it at such an advanced age, lol! b) I'm the 'last' in the generation (all girls) and wanted to keep the name going a bit longer! (have no kids, though). c) Surname more unusual than my husband's (his is 'Hill')!

syljo

syljo Report 4 Aug 2004 20:59

And what is yours Sheila? I'm afraid my maiden name is dying out. My only brother has two daughters! Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2004 21:08

I changed my name, although the surname is dying out because a) after 34 years I fancied a change b) I changed from Gray to Evans and therefore moved up the alphabetical queue a bit c) to annoy all my women friends who thought I should have kept my maiden name. As I said to them, freedom for women should mean we can choose and I don't see why having a surname from a man because he is your father is any different from having one from a man because he is your husband. Having said that, because Evans is so common - I know of at least 4 other Helen Evanses living in this area - I kept Gray as my third name to differentiate. H.

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 4 Aug 2004 21:09

wen i got married 20 yrs ago i wanted to keep my maidan name but he wasnt to happy bout me doing that so i changed to his name wish i had kept it though but never mind :-))

syljo

syljo Report 4 Aug 2004 21:19

I think it is nice to be able to choose. Everybody calls me in Gt Britain "van Hoosten". Anyway means from the east

Lisa

Lisa Report 5 Aug 2004 12:26

kept my husbands surname but alot of his cousins had a double barrelled surname.

Lisa

Lisa Report 5 Aug 2004 17:26

no i don't think you can.once your divorced i think it goes back.would you want to keep your husbands surname.if you did you wouldn't move on to the next chapter in your life.

Lisa

Lisa Report 5 Aug 2004 17:36

thats fair enough maregaret.

Ann

Ann Report 5 Aug 2004 20:09

I reluctantly changed from Derry to Morgan, but Ann Derry took a long time to disappear, and every now and then she re-surges!!!! To Margaret- legally you can call yourself by your married name when you divorce or your maiden name- it is up to you entirely!!!!

syljo

syljo Report 5 Aug 2004 21:36

Yes, my daughter has reverted to her maiden name. My grandchildren still have their father's name though.