General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

**HAVE YOU SOLD ANYTHING ON EBAY? WE NEED HELP**

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Aug 2004 17:28

I have just bought a new camera and am thinking of selling my old SLR Minolta plus lenses on Ebay. If you have sold anything on Ebay I wouls appreciate any advise or hints to ensure I get loads of money :-)

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Aug 2004 17:57

Barry & Marion I have updated this to see if I can attract more attention. I AM going to sell my camera on Ebay but I wanted some hints before doing it. I know you can put a reserve price which is useful. Go on have a go like me!

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 5 Aug 2004 17:58

Sorry to but in on this thread ( as I have not used e-bay_ Barry - where do you live? As I collect Liliput Lane and might be interested in some? Liz

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Aug 2004 17:59

Lynda Thanks for that. Can your son give any hints or is it just a case of "go for it"?

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Aug 2004 18:00

Hey Barry, looks like you may be lucky. Great.

Zoe

Zoe Report 5 Aug 2004 18:00

I've bought and sold on ebay. I find the best way to do it is sign up to PayPal (which is free) and offers potential buyers the ability to pay through credit/debit cards. Also, if you're willing, offer to accept bankers draftys pr cheques - for anyone without cards. People won't expect you to send the item until the money has cleared. If you can pop down to teh post office beforehand and get the item weighed so you can include postage costs with your item - I'd also put the weight for overseas buyers to work out roughly what it would cost as well. Look at similar items on ebay for ideas as to how to word you message so that people have enough information. Also be very careful of wording the Subject Heading as a lot of people will just scan the site by eye looking at headings rather than each item individually. If you have a digital camera take pics of your item - but only post one on ebay - it costs to include more than this. You can offer to send additional photos to potential buyers if they contact you - this is an excellent way to build up a relationship with all buyers - not just those that win the item - especially if you have a collection of things you're wanting to sell off. If you're wary of a purchaser - everyone on ebay has a little number next to their nickname - by clicking this you will be able to view feedback that previous dealers have left for them Good luck Zoe

Scott

Scott Report 5 Aug 2004 18:01

weve sold loads of stuff just make sure if they send cheques wait for them to clear before u post the item generally had no problems and its easy

Zoe

Zoe Report 5 Aug 2004 18:02

oh - and specifically to Gerry a lot of my photographers at work use ebay to sell their old equipment as they get better prices than they would selling to a camera shop and the purchaser gets a better deal as they're not having to add the shops commission on. I'd recommend selling all your lenses as individual lots rather than together Zoe

Sidami

Sidami Report 5 Aug 2004 18:28

My son sold his old trainers on there last week they made £66, told him I would put mine on, I won't tell you what he said LOL..............

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Aug 2004 20:55

Dorothy When I get round to it I'll let you know how it went. Will prob do in Sept after hols

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 5 Aug 2004 20:57

Hi Gerry, I`ve only bought, and had no problems whatsoever. My son sells on there all the time,and he`s had no problems either.We both buy, and sell using PayPal.

Crista

Crista Report 5 Aug 2004 21:45

Gerry, Make sure the aution finishes Sunday night. I always get better results then as people have time to bid and are usually at home. Crista

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Aug 2004 23:29

Nice one Crista. With all the help and hints I am getting I can see myself getting very rich! :-)) If only.