General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not a genealogy question but a cooking one!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pam

Pam Report 6 Aug 2004 21:56

Does anyone have in their recipe book collection a Rick Stein recipe for chinese belly pork with rice and pak choy? I was watching a programme on sky a few weeks ago and started to write the recipe down when the ****** phone rang, when I got back to the TV the programme had finished. I have tried searching on the net for it but can find nearly every RS recipe but this one. I've bought the belly pork, five spice powder, sechuan peppercorns........everything I can remember from the programme, I just need to know how to put it all together. Many thanks, fingers crossed and chopsticks at the ready just in case! Pam

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Aug 2004 22:12

Pam I think I watched that one but I wouldn't have taken any notice cos I can't stand belly pork! lol Sorry Jeanette

Annie

Annie Report 6 Aug 2004 22:15

was this it? Ingredients: 1kg pork belly, sliced 1 carrot sliced into matchsticks 3 fresh mushrooms sliced 1 onion sliced 3 spring onions chopped Marinade: 5 tbsp chilli paste 1 tbsp garlic 4 tbsp soy bean oil 2 tbsp sesame oil 2 &#65533; tbsp beef stock powder 1 tsp sugar 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds 2 tbsp chilli powder First, thinly slice the pork belly. We use pork belly because it has a layer of fat and a layer of lean meat. You can go to a Korean butcher and get it ready sliced. For the marinade: Mix the chilli paste, garlic, sesame oil, soy bean oil, sugar, sesame seeds, chilli powder and beef stock. Add the pork and sliced vegetables and mix well. There's no need to wait for this marinade - once it's all mixed together it's ready to cook! Stir-fry the whole lot for a few minutes in a wok or on a barbecue hot plate - and that's it. I did an internet search but the recipe had been cut for copyright reasons the rest of the posting was still there. It went like this I have seen this recipe on telly where the pork was oven roasted. Cept they had a wire rack in the roasting tray. They put the pork on the wire rack meat side down fatty side up and filled the bottom of the tray with water. A dry rub (made with chinese five spice and dried herbs from what I can remember) was then mushed into the fat. When the pork was cooked the meat underside was all tender and juicy and the fat side was really crispy. I looked delicious. It was on a programme that rick stein was hosting." " You can serve it with rice or make individual "spring rolls" by wrapping it in lettuce leaves and topping it with some spicy bean paste.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Aug 2004 22:31

Sounds fantastic apart from the belly pork! lol

Geoff

Geoff Report 6 Aug 2004 22:37

Don't forget the five large green chillis.

Pam

Pam Report 6 Aug 2004 23:46

Thank you for that Annie, from what I can remember the second recipe is the one I was after! Thanks also for everyone's input. BTW Jude..............Yes you can ask for anything on this board, that's why it's called a general board................nobody usually minds what is asked, that's the great thing about GC. Love to all, Pam

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 7 Aug 2004 04:22

Pam Have you tried the UKFOOD website?