General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

resident parking

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Aug 2004 19:37

anyone else live in a town or city that has problem with parking .what do you think about residents parking and does where you live need it?

Daniel

Daniel Report 10 Aug 2004 19:39

you mean like in a block of flats or apartments?

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Aug 2004 19:43

no in a street.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 10 Aug 2004 19:43

Hi Lisa The last house I lived in was on a busy main road close to the local shops. We didn't have garages so had to park on the road outside our houses. Our local town councillor lived in the street just off the main road. Parking did become a bit of an issue so something had to be done. The council put double yellows outside our houses apart from about 5 spaces saying these were needed for the shoppers. The street that the town councillor lived down got residential parking. Funny that isn't it! Do you really want to know what I think of residential parking?! LOL Jeanette

Daniel

Daniel Report 10 Aug 2004 19:46

Our road is only wide enough to fit one and a half vehicles through. When a car is parked by a visitor of the house across the way, we have to put ours in front of one of the few houses which has driveway. Very narrow but it keeps speeding down.

badger

badger Report 10 Aug 2004 19:56

we have this system in parts of newcastle ,double yellow lines on the road outside the flats and houses,any one parking on these lines gets clamped and it costs to have the clamp removed.Residents get a badge from parking control ,free which lets them park outside their houses.The system seems to work okay,those that wan,t to park use a proper bay or leave the car at home and catch a bus.And before anyone says owt ,yes ,i do drive into town sometimes ,and yes ,other times ,i catch said bus.Fred.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 10 Aug 2004 20:31

The street where i live is only wide enough to park one car and to drive past these cars people have to fold their wing mirrors in,The roads are victorian and they were only meant for pony and traps. when my late husband was rushed into hospital 2yr gone easter nobody would move their cars so the ambulance could not get down to outside of the house.God knows what would happen to me if there was a fire in my flat. The only time all the cars are moved is on a wedesday for the rubbish wagon because the council told the residents ,if the cars are not moved then your bins don't get emptied. Sue

Speedy

Speedy Report 10 Aug 2004 20:40

Hi Lisa, where I live they park out side of my house as it is close to the hospital, even though it is supposed to be time restricted, no traffic wardens come and give them a ticket or clamp them, the hospital does have a large car park but the visitors don't want to pay!!!! so I have to park at the other end of the street after doing a long day at work

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 Aug 2004 20:50

Our road is a classic when we moved here 24 years ago you could count the amount of cars on one hand but over years and younger people moving in to the road it has become a joke. Most of the houses have two cars yes we are one of those people , we have a main road at the bottom of the road the residents park in this road they dont want to lose their wing mirrors or worst still their cars its like a race track. The point i am getting at is if we all parked nicely then maybe it would not be so bad but no they leave a space big enough to get half a car in all the way up the street. Sorry to go on i have had my moan up now Margaret

Anne Marie

Anne Marie Report 10 Aug 2004 23:05

Hi Lisa, I don't live in Southsea but a lot of my friends do and they all agree that the resident's parking is abismal. I live in Warsash, which is really out in the sticks but at least no problems parking. I can spout for England about parking restrictions, but I don't drive, I get the bus every morning to Fratton, it only takes me 2 hours on a good day. But at least my number 57 can park at the bus stops. x Anne Marie

Lisa

Lisa Report 11 Aug 2004 10:26

my sister lives in warsash and she has off road parking.she has no problem either.