General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed please re. my tree in the garden

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Aug 2004 10:15

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to move a young tree growing in the wrong place? It's a self-seeded silver birch now about 5 to 6 feet high with several side branches. I have a 'home' for it to go to at my grandson's school. What preparation would that ground need? Would welcome advice please.

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 11 Aug 2004 10:36

at the end of the summer when the temperatures dropped aboutsept oct ,you can prune trees a bit at that time as well. karen

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Aug 2004 14:34

hi i would make sure that a large hole is dug and through in some horse manure, dig out your tree leaving as much undisturbed mud around the root ball and transfer fill the new hole with water place tree and a stake fill with soil, firming with foot and rewater. failing this contact your local nursey and ask there advice, on planting the tree. hope it helps sandra

badger

badger Report 11 Aug 2004 19:36

good advice from Sandra ,any tree nursery will be glad to give advice.Fred.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Aug 2004 07:34

Thank you all for your help. It seems that autumn will be the right time so I will take your advice and ring a nursery in readiness.