General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Outstanding debts (other peoples)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 11 Aug 2004 18:03

See below

Sue

Sue Report 11 Aug 2004 18:11

I have just got back from my son & daughter in law's. She was in such a state! A letter had arrived today at their house addressed to a strange, (unknown) female. There was no return address on the envelope so DiL opened the letter. It was from a debt collection agency demanding repayment of an outstanding Barclaycard debt enclosing a direct debit form. About £600 I think. There was no phone number on the letter, and only a PO box number to reply to. Son & DiL bought their house in 1998, spent a year renovating it, and moved in in 1999. I think I managed to calm her down, she had visions of bailiffs knocking. I told her to write on the back of the letter telling them how long she had lived there etc. and send the letter back. Did I do right or was there something else she could do? Sue UPDATE A neighbour says a girl with the same first name as on the letter lived in the house about 7 years ago.

Lisa

Lisa Report 11 Aug 2004 18:31

i think the best thing to do is get in touch with barclaycard.look up on internet and explain the situation.hopefully they will sort the problem out.tell your daughter not to worryx

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 11 Aug 2004 18:41

Sue not long after i moved in to my flat i went shopping leaving my sister to babysit my daughter. At the time i was pregnant with my twins. there was a knock at the door and of course jakki answered it, on doorstep was two bailiffs and several policemen. Jakki assumed the worst and almost fainted, cos she thought something had happened to me!!! when the bailiffs finally identified themselves it took her ages, to convince them the people they wanted wasn't living there any more. It didn't help that she wasn' the tenant either, they finally agreed to go and come back when i was home to prove to them. when they came back i showed the proof ( bills in my name) and gave them a peice of my mind for scaring my sister. They were as nice as pie. Also since moving into this house we've had several letter for previous tenant which i now opne and call if there's a number if not let them knock, so long as you can prove you live there theres not a lot u can do. One more point is be warned the property isn't blacklisted due to previous owners, it can affect your credit rating if it is. There are companies you can chekc with to be sure thisn't happening ( but can't recall the names equifax is one i think) Shelli

Sue

Sue Report 12 Aug 2004 20:52

Terri, Lisa and Shelli Thanks for your replies. Daughter in Law has calmed down now and has sent the letter back to the PO box number. Re credit rating.........this is what they couldn't understand, their credit rating is fine. Apparently the girl named in the letter was the girlfriend of one of the sons of the previous house owner, and even he doesn't know where she is after 6 years! It seemed strange that it had taken so long for Barclaycard to decide to chase up the debt. There had not been any other letters addressed to this name since my son bought the house in 1998. Another of life's mysteries! Sue