General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hurricane in America

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 14 Aug 2004 18:27

May our thoughts go out to all the people affected by this natural disaster. The dead & injured, the relatives of those people, the rescue teams and medical staff who are involved in helping these people.I hope there are no GR members caught up in it all, or relatives of GR members. Let us think twice when we moan about bad weather here in old Blighty.........Elaine x

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 Aug 2004 18:29

hi elaine i agree with you, such a lot of destruction, and something alot of families will never forget sandra

Christine2

Christine2 Report 14 Aug 2004 18:34

Oh Jenny - I shouldn't worry too much - surely if they are likely to be in any danger the travel company won't let them go. Chrissie

Debbie

Debbie Report 14 Aug 2004 18:40

my youngest son's friend flew out to florida on friday morning with his gran and uncle i hope they are ok im going to see his mum later to find out how they are

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 14 Aug 2004 18:46

Jenny Ive emailed you Deborah Let us know if they're alright E x

Annie

Annie Report 14 Aug 2004 18:54

My friend texted me from Florida (Orlando) to say she is OK. Her flight home was cancelled so she might have to miss work on monday AAAAAH

Mags

Mags Report 14 Aug 2004 20:28

I'm here on my daughter's computer - I'm looking after the dog while they are on holiday. Where have they gone? Florida!! I have just had a telephone call from her, she had been trying all day because she knew that we would be worried, but the phone lines were down. They were going to be out of the path of the hurricane until it changed direction and they were given 2hrs notice that it was due to hit the town where they are staying. There was nowhere to evacuate to in the time so they sat it out. They have lost the cover off the pool (dear oh dear lol) but otherwise they are fine. Having just a few moments before watched the 6o'clock news, I was so relieved to hear her voice, I burst into tears. They are now on tornado watch - but everything's ok - 'the bloke over the road knows where the shelter is' !!! Just glad they are ok. Magsx

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 14 Aug 2004 20:36

The craziest part of it is, that to them hurricanes and the such are as common as us having rain all thru the summer - they just take them in their stride. When I was out there last April, we had a 'storm' that lasted for 7 hours!!! She didn't bat an eyelid lol. My friend lives about half an hour away from Tampa, on the gulf coast, right where it made landfall - just about try and call her, otherwise will be ringing her mum in Devon as I know she will have heard from her. Try not to worry too much folks - they are well geared up for these things.