General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what did you do when you were little??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 14 Aug 2004 19:41

what silly things did you do when you were little?? what has your mum told you? i was told i used to pull a piece of cotton behind me calling"come on, come on", and i would take this piece of cotton with me when mum took me shopping,what must people of thought!!! well, i wanted a dog on the end of it!!!! and i would put the gold fish bowl in front of the fire to keep the fish warm!!!!!!!! i used to collect crabs in a bucket from the shore and take them home, and pull the legs off them!! i wanted to see how they moved without legs!!!!!!!!!! i was an inquisitive child!!!!!!!!! when we did get a dog,i wanted to cover him with a blanket to keep him warm!! my dad said he doesn't need a blanket he's got a fur coat! chris.

Margaret

Margaret Report 14 Aug 2004 19:45

i used to bury my glasses because i didnt like wearing them mum was forever getting me a new pair. Margaret

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 Aug 2004 19:53

one summer we had to collect the snails in the garden, and got 1d for each one, so i cheated and got them from the neighbours overgrown garden as well. i also played tennis with them over the gardens to my friend four doors away, as i wasn't allowed out lol sandra

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 14 Aug 2004 20:00

i use to make little ant houses in the garden with stone's

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Aug 2004 20:03

First you have to remember that 'going to the pictures' was an amazing adventure for me in the 1950s. Mum took me to see a film about animals, and Brumas the baby polar bear cub was swimming with his mother. I got up and went towards the screen. When asked why, I replied that I was going to go and feel if the water was cold.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 14 Aug 2004 21:34

LOL - oh yes, I used to have a 'roller skate' dog - and i used to insist that the cat 'really wants' to be pushed around in my dolls pram. Apparently i once stood in the bakers and licked all the sugar off the cakes at the front of the display - and did something similar at the green groccers - took a bit out of an apple lol.........very naughty in those days, but nothing compared to what they get up to these days huh?? :)

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 14 Aug 2004 21:45

Not about me, But my daughter who is 5 has an imaginary friend called Rosie. Nothing unusual in that I know, not until the day she asked me to push Rosie as she was heavy. "why is Rosie a baby in a buggy?" I said. Shannon replied "no, mum, Rosie is in a wheelchair!" I have raised a very politically correct child!! Pat

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 14 Aug 2004 21:55

i used to eat manshoin shoe polish ( long gone ) but i have a lovely shiny face lol

Janice

Janice Report 14 Aug 2004 22:01

We had a tiled fireplace and I coloured all the grouting different colours with my wax crayons! Janice

Howie

Howie Report 14 Aug 2004 22:04

where are all the replies from the men or didn't we do silly things ?

Lynn

Lynn Report 14 Aug 2004 23:04

Reading Mommylonglegs reply I remembered what I done when I lived in London. The only pet I was allowed to have was a gold fish, and one day when I was cleaning the tank out I dropped the fish and it went head first into the plug hole. I daren't give it a tug for fear of pulling its tail off so I pushed it through the hole instead. Armed with a sieve I rushed outside to where the sink outlet was above a drain and shouted for my grandmothere to turn the kitchen tap on and out came my fish from its journey, down the u bend and under two rooms to its final destination ...my sieve, and none the worse for wear Lynn

Mags

Mags Report 14 Aug 2004 23:20

I poked a hole in the 'wireless' to see the little man inside. I cut up some of my mum's summer clothes to make doll's clothes. I didn't realise that she had only stored them away for the next year. I thought they were rubbish (well they were when I'd finished with them lol) I read this book about some kids that had made a den by digging a hole and putting a roof on it. I started digging a hole at the end of the vegetable garden but forgot to tell my dad and he fell into it. I was made to fill it in again. My dad made a habit of falling down holes. He used to come home from work on his bike. Head down pedalling hard - he didn't see the Road Up sign and rode over it and down the hole behind. He broke 2 ribs. It was just before my brother's wedding and everyone said how upright he looked in his top hat and tails - probably because he couldn't move!! Dad once sawed off the branch of the tree that he had his ladder leant against!!!! Magsx

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 14 Aug 2004 23:35

PMSL reading these, Mommylonglegs reminded me when my little brother and his pal came out to play wearing (old style) sanitary towels looped over their ears and over their mouths. God knows what they thought they were. I remember when I was about 7 at a party in my posh aunt's house I was in her bathroom and lifted down one of her fancy scent bottles to have a sniff and dropped it in the sink. It smashed to smithereens! I picked all the bits up and hid them in the cistern. One night I asked my brother if I could paint his toenails. I did them in every colour. He forgot about it til morning and said you better take that off me when I come in from school. Poor little bugger, he had a shower at PE next day and never lived it down for years. Christine

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 14 Aug 2004 23:49

me and my best friend used to play war games with the boys, we were nurses! and when the boys got injured we had to nurse them!! funny how some got injured more than others!!! i remember me and my friend camped out in her back garden ( she lived next door to us) and we never stopped talking and laughing, in the end my dad shouted through the bedroom window " will you two shut up!" you couldn't camp in the back garden these days! you wouldn't be safe!!! Chris.