General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FOOTBALL - NOW I UNDERSTAND!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 14 Aug 2004 21:16

I now understand why my other 'arf gets so heated about the game. I have just been upto Gillingham this aft with him, to watch them play against Preston. I thought Referees were supposed to be IMPARTIAL, but I have seen today the most blatant example of this so obviously not being so! Five minutes into the game, one of our players suffers a broken leg after a late and pointless tackle :O NO red card! NO booking! NO telling off - not even a FREE KICK to us!! This was followed throughout the game but endless obstruction on our players going unchecked; numerous 'back passes' (girls ask your fellas lol) to their goalie allowed; and a BLATANT handball when one of their players stood on the pitch and CAUGHT a ball - okay it would have gone out anyway, but I'm told it should have been an automatic YELLOW CARD?? - nothing!! And to top it - a legitimate tackle on the fella who broke our players leg resulted in a booking!! I'm appalled!! I don't think this guy was an legitimate referee at all - reckon he must have been the Preston team Coach Driver lol.........my sympathy to all you footie fans - it's a shocking disgrace to the game!! OH YEAH - WE WON 3-1 - YES!!! Anne in Kent - converted footie hater lol.......

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 15 Aug 2004 09:57

Anne I am printing this out for my hubby - he is a Gills season ticket holder, but couldn't get there yesterday! He will be MOST interested to hear your match report! Maz. XX

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 15 Aug 2004 10:04

Maz - glad to be service, if he's interested it was Saunders who got his leg broken, Preston no.22 Davis.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2004 10:53

Anne If you won 3-1 the ref can't have had that much effect on the game. I am staggered that anyone wants to be a football referee with the amount of abuse they get from the crowd and the players. In rugby it is accepted that the referee may be a complete expletive deleted, but he is probably doing his best. You don't question his decisions or his impartiality. Nell (rugby team currently European champions AND domestic trophy holders).

Yvette

Yvette Report 15 Aug 2004 11:36

Joy We should have watched together.....as i'm a norwich fan and my dad is a palace supporter, so it was a great start to the season for us, lol. As i said to my dad.....we took it easy on you today as we are both the 'new boys' so to speak....watch out for the return game! LOL.... Yvette...now running for cover lol

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 15 Aug 2004 11:40

Helen - all I can say is, it just goes to show what a good team they are, that they can win 'against all odds'. Nearly every referee we have is the same - don't seem to like the fact that we have been promoted - they certainly did their best to prevent it from what I saw of last seasons matches too lol :O

Yvette

Yvette Report 15 Aug 2004 11:51

Ann Could the success of Gillingham have anything to do with a certain Mr Roberts (ex Canary)? Lets hope he keeps up the good work for you. Yvette