General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Music and women

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 15 Aug 2004 15:12

Why is it that I only see men conducting orchestras? Even composing music, I only come across men's names, mostly German, French and Italian. Why do the Italians and Welsh have such good voices? It just makes me wonder, that's all. Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2004 15:27

Men have traditionally dominated the music scene, just as they have the art scene. There are women composers, they just don't get the publicity. As to why the Italians/Welsh are such good singers - Germany has produced some good singers so have various other countries. Perhaps in Italy and Wales singing is prized more and therefore encouraged and promoted better, with more opportunities for people who want to sing. England has this century produced Kathleen Ferrier, Rita Hunter, Janet Baker and Lesley Garratt to name but four great female voices. Nell

syljo

syljo Report 15 Aug 2004 15:32

Kathleen is a great favourite of mine, especially singing Blow the Wind Southerly. Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2004 15:34

Sylvia Yes, she had a very distinctive voice, and sang beautifully without overenunciating. My personal favourite is "What is life?" from Orfeo. I cry every time I hear it, it reminds me of my Dad who died 1990. Nell

syljo

syljo Report 15 Aug 2004 17:09

Did your dad also sing this song? Sylvia

syljo

syljo Report 15 Aug 2004 17:09

Did your dad also sing this song? Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2004 17:18

Sylvia No! He was a bus conductor (anyone who travelled on the 403 from Chelsham to Croydon in the 60s and 70s would know him). He liked most music and was very fond of Italian opera, esp. Puccini and Verdi. He used to sing it on the bus (in the original Italian). We lived in a commuter belt and some residents were a bit pompous. One day Dad was in full cry, and a twit asked him "Did you know that was Verdi you were singing?" to which Dad replied "No, really? I thought it was Shostakovich"! Music is very evocative, isn't it. There are some songs that I love because they remind me of Dad, even though they make me feel sad. Then there are others (mainly Puccini) that I just can't bear to listen to, its too much. Nell

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 15 Aug 2004 17:33

Helen - your Dad sounds like he was a wonderful character! My Dad loved opera too, and it rubbed off on me, I know what you mean as some of it is 'unbearably' emotional. 'Softly awakes my heart' from Samson & Delilah gets me every time!!

syljo

syljo Report 15 Aug 2004 17:36

I don't like modern composers. I love opera and went to see The Devils of Loudon some years ago and hated every minute, but the seats were expensive so I sat it out!! Michael Tippett was the composer I think. Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2004 22:39

Yes, my dad was a great character, a lot of his personality was inherited from his Norfolk granddad, who died long before I was born, but who had a wicked sense of humour! All Dad's side of the family appreciated music. There is a lovely story about his brother buying Beethoven's 9th symphony on old LPs (the brittle ones), in the days when it took up about 8 discs. He came home v. drunk one night and put it full blast on the record player. It made a huge row and he said "Thank God we don't live next door!" Incidentally, my Uncle Sam always denied this. He said it was Schubert's 9th symphony.

syljo

syljo Report 16 Aug 2004 17:23

Beethoven is my favourite composer, especially his Ninth and Fifth Piano concerto. Did you see the Clockwork Orange? Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2004 17:55

No, but I've read the book. My father brought me up to appreciate Bach, Mozart and Beethoven as the 3 greats of classical music. nell

syljo

syljo Report 16 Aug 2004 18:35

Nell, Bach is a bit on the heavy side for me. I didn't appreciate classical music when I was younger, although I did like ballet and opera, but didn't go to musical concerts. I suppose ballet and opera really are classed as classical music, but that's not Bach is it!! Sylvia