General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Say a prayer for Boscastle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Aug 2004 11:06

In July my husband and I were staying at Boscastle - a tranquil and picturque village - unfortunately it is no more. We were totally devastated by the news of the flash flooding and to see all the familar sights that are no longer there which will take years to restore to it's former glory. My prayers are for the village people that have to now rebuild their lives. Linda

Melinda

Melinda Report 17 Aug 2004 11:09

my thoughts and prayers are definately with these poor people too, such a lovely village, we were near there last year too.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 17 Aug 2004 11:14

lin i know how you feel as kids we used to spend our holidays in tintagel and port issaac,and i too have been upset about the latest floods its such a beautiful part of england susie

Chrissy

Chrissy Report 17 Aug 2004 11:47

My heart goes out to the people in Boscastleit brought back terrible memories of the Lynmouth floods 52 years ago, i lived in Lynton and lost a playmate and family on dad's side,so i hope to god these people in Boscastle get all the help and support they need,spookily the boscastle floods were on the 16th of August and the Lynmouth floods the 15th of August. Chrissy.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Aug 2004 13:12

The actual village is owned by the National Trust, who I should imagine will have their work cut out for the next few years. As for your business's ie shops resturants B & B's and rented cottages lets hope their insurances will cover but unfortunately it takes time and these people still have to live. Linda

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 17 Aug 2004 13:48

Living in Cornwall as I do, the whole Cornish community is in shock over yesterday's events. My thoughts are with all there, both residents, and all the superb rescue workers. What skill from the pilots of the helicopters! There's more heavy rain forecast for today as well. I'm about 20 miles away from Boscastle, and it's beginning to look very threatening now. Please don't let there be a repeat of yesterday. God bless you all there. Pauline

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 17 Aug 2004 14:01

My Thoughts and prayers are with all those peole down in that area of Cornwall.My brother went down to Padstow for a weeks hols last Saturday. Watched the news what devastation there has been, now they are asking for people who were only visiting yesterday to get in touch.And checking the car regs to see if the people who own them are accounted for. Jan

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Aug 2004 15:43

what a shock to see it on the tele last night.cannot express my feelings for the people of boscastle who have to build that beautiful village.my heart goes out to you allxx

Joy

Joy Report 17 Aug 2004 16:10

You may have seen the town in the Seaside Parish programme on television? Joy

chezzy

chezzy Report 18 Aug 2004 18:30

i was passing through boscastle monday with my hubby in his truck..we missed the floods by 30mins.the weather was terrible,it rained all day.my heart goes out to all the people i saw there..i hope they get plenty of help.ive never been further than birmingham and was looking forward to seeing the beutiful coastline etc such a shame i didnt get to see it in all its glory.an elderly gentleman who unloaded hubbys lorry at a b&q remembered the floods 52 yrs ago also, quite scary it happened again.x

Bob

Bob Report 18 Aug 2004 18:35

They are hardy people in Cornwall... I bet if you go there next year it will once again be a thriving seaside town. Thank God there were no casualties... Things can be mended and replaced and I bet they will end up better than before. Bob

Debbi

Debbi Report 18 Aug 2004 18:46

I visited Boscastle regulary with my parenst as a child and went back there last year for the first time since being a grown up! I was standing in the gem shop and bought my children polish rocks, then walked across the road to buy the best ice cream ever then down to the bottom where the river joins the sea. It is hard to believe its the same place when seeing it on TV. My mother is in St Austell and I hope her and all those in Cornwall will be safe tonight as the weather looks bad again. I wish the people of Boscastle the strength to go on and rebuild and hope it never happens again to them. I am sure they know the whole countrys thoughts are with them. Debbi xxx

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 21 Aug 2004 23:54

Just to let you know that a fund has been set up to help everybody. It's being administered by The British Red Cross in conjunction with North Cornwall District Council. Any donations are to be sent to the Red Cross stating it's for the Cornwall Flood Appeal. Prince Charles is making a large donation to help as are the government. I'm sure they will need every penny! Pauline

Lily

Lily Report 22 Aug 2004 20:36

We said one in Church this morning, also for North Scotland. There is so much human misery all over the World, not all of it caused by natural disasters! Good Luck Boscastle! Dilys

Lily

Lily Report 2 Sep 2004 14:31

I have been thinking of all those people returning to their homes and businesses, in Boscastle - I do hope that they can get some organisation of the area sorted before winter hits.