General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

E mailing other members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2004 14:52

Have you realised that, unless you already know other member's e mail addresses, you will no longer be able to contact them.. One of the new rules forbids telling others your e mail address. And if you send via your contacts you get an e mail saying you have a message and to click on it, this takes you straight back to your contacts where you read and reply to your message. Real big brother stuff this. Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2004 15:22

As I see it, the problem is: If you ask for a look up nobody will be able to send you an image as they could before to your home e mail, because there is no way of letting them have the address. Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2004 15:30

Lynda How will you be able to e mail them? You can contact them through 'contacts' but you can't e mail them direct, so you wont be able to send photos etc. You are forbidden by one of the new rules to give anyone your e mail address. This is what happens when someone complains of being spammed I'm afraid. Ann glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2004 15:31

Nice one Terri ann

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2004 15:33

Lorr, Try sending me a message and you will seee what I mean. Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2004 15:38

Lorr, if you have sent a message it will take a little while to be sent as usual. Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2004 15:59

Lynda, you giving me your address worked so maybe they will allow it at that stage. this is the relevant 'rule'. 10 Relevance. The Genes Reunited Service is intended to be used by its Members for the purposes referred to in Clause 2 above. Accordingly, Members must not: - include an email address, postal address, phone number, the address of any website, or any other information which is intended to facilitate direct communication, in material which is posted on the Genes Reunited Service - Full Members, and the recipients of their emails, can share this information, should they wish, once direct contact has been made; - place material on, or otherwise use, the Genes Reunited Service for any business or commercial purpose; or - use your access to the Genes Reunited Service, or information gathered from it, for the sending of unsolicited bulk email (sometimes known as spam) It does appear to give permission for full members to share information but it is a bit ambiguous. Lorr when you sent me a message, another message appeared from you at the same time giving me access to your tree and asking for access to mine. Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Aug 2004 16:05

Lorr, No it is not good, i don't want everyone to be able toaccess my tree and it looks as though it will happen if we are not constantly alert. Ann Glos

Irene

Irene Report 18 Aug 2004 17:03

This is getting silly, I am all for change but really do we have to be treated like children. There is so much !!!!!! when you look at a page now I am really getting tired of looking. To many emails anyway so I don't want anymore. Sorry folks but I think this bye bye time. Irene

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Aug 2004 17:17

I think the 'allow' bit means that you click on that icon to 'allow' someone to view your tree and 'remove' means take away the permission to view. Also, you can put your email address in an email that you send via GC - I think you'll find there's a little bit more to the rule where it says that. I hope this makes sense, I'm not very good at explaining things!! Mandy :))

Debbie

Debbie Report 18 Aug 2004 17:57

I know genes say that emails will not show up for safety reasons, but it is also if you want to reply you have to become a full member. Its like when you ask someone if they are connected and you dont recieve a reply, I think it is now going to get worse as a lot of people put their trees on here and dont become a member, so when they do recieve a email from one of us they would not be able to reply to it unless you put your email address in on everyone you send a message to. So I think there are going to be more and more people not replying now as some people cannot afford to become members and some dont want to.