General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

You are what you eat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan

Jan Report 21 Aug 2004 09:15

Did anyone watch this series. I have never found poo so interesting lol I even bought the book and im off to buy some lentils and beans. has anyone else got any "healthy" tips? Jan x

Jo

Jo Report 21 Aug 2004 10:23

I was thinking about having one of those colonic thingys but now I'm not too sure, couldn't bear to be told the history of my poo. Yes it totally amazed me as well. Great series

Daniel

Daniel Report 21 Aug 2004 10:25

I didn't see it but wasn't the "expert" a fake who bought her qualification?

Jo

Jo Report 21 Aug 2004 10:26

Thats a new one on me. If so I was took in by it all. Now days you can buy anything so nothing would suprise me.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Aug 2004 10:48

If you are what you eat then I am a mixture of meat, fish, beans, rice, pasta, vegetables and fruit and nuts! Yes, I know some people on this board probably think I am 100% nuts! nell

Jo

Jo Report 21 Aug 2004 10:50

That means I am a mixture of burgers, chips, chocolate and crisps (mmm healthy lass arnt I)

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 Aug 2004 12:12

I didnt watch it, but after you mentioning poo I had to tell you this. I was amazed when I went to visit my sister in Bristol on thursday, in her garden she had some great big tomato plants and as she is not a garderner I was suprised. The thin is she didnt grow them they grew from the drain which had over flowed originaly and the tomato seeds in her poo had grown. She reckoned they would be ok to eat but there is no way I would eat tomatoes from the drain.

John

John Report 22 Aug 2004 00:54

Hi, I always avoid healthy eating programmes, I can't abear to look at people who look so emaciated, remember how shocked we were when we saw people who had been in prisoner of war camps! My mother lived through two world wars, ate meat that cooked in its own fat, only real butter spread right to the edge of her sandwiches (both pieces), Sunday morning fried breakfasts - bacon, egg, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms and tomatoes. She died in 2002, aged 90. Healthy eating............yeccccccccccchhhhhhh.

Mags

Mags Report 22 Aug 2004 05:16

As I said on another thread that touched on this programme - I would be more convinced if the presenter didn't look SO ILL! Magsx

Valice in

Valice in Report 22 Aug 2004 14:07

Yes, I watched the series too. Although Gillian looked like she could do with a good feed up!! However, I do think our food has a lot to answer for, and that doctors could do with taking this more seriously instead of fobbing folk off with drugs to treat the symptoms instead of finding the cause of their ills. Took a quick look at the book from the series, hoping to see some of the recipes I was interested in, but as they wern't there I didn't buy the book, I beleive there will be a new series in Jan, with a recipe book to accompany it.

John

John Report 22 Aug 2004 23:15

Hi Ann, My mother was the daughter of a butcher, my father was the son of a butcher so I think our meat wasn't as rationed as others were. I used to have to go to grandad's shop on Saturday mornings to collect the meat, as soon as I arrived gran used to sit me down with a plate of sandwiches, sheeps brain boiled then mixed with chopped hard boiled egg, I used to love that (couldn't get myself to eat it now though!). When we went to granddads cottage on occasional weekends, he would go into the local woods and shoot a couple of rabbits so that we could have rabbit stew (meat again). You are quite right though, living through WWII really did do something for our constitution. - John.

Jan

Jan Report 23 Aug 2004 08:57

Hi Ann The sunflower/pumpkin seeds are 1 teaspoon a day they contain essential fatty acids which break down normal fat. They aren't too bad either. The book is good and certainly gives you thought however I don't think I could follow the whole plan as you cant eat proteins with carbs although the fruit thing is interesting as it digests more quickly than any other food groups it has to be eaten alone. Even since I have been following my own plan of healthy eating I only eat fruit until my tea and at the min I have the nicest skin I have had in years! Jan x

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Aug 2004 16:07

eat healthly and exercise.cut down on white bread and eat wholemeal.doesn't bind you up as muc.i have changed and don't feel so bloatedxx(:

Valice in

Valice in Report 23 Aug 2004 22:24

Well done Kim and hubby, that was interesting about the lower back pain link with tomatoes