General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

URTICARIA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lily

Lily Report 21 Aug 2004 17:09

I have just read all your suggestions for treating Psoriasis. Is anyone suffering with chronic Urticaria? I have had it 4 years and so fed up with it (aggravated by heat) and living on antihystemenes. I slowly got off steroids (which gave some relief) as I was worried about the long term side effects. Any fellow sufferers? I send my deepest sympathy......... Dilys

Jo

Jo Report 21 Aug 2004 18:25

I have urticaria, have had it since March this year, it is horrible, i get mine at night at 1am (always the same time). Went to Addenbrooks Hospital tuesday just gone, for allergy tests. I am not allergic to anything and have been told that its just something that I have to put up with. I was taking Citirizine but the hosspital have told me to stop as I will never know when it goes. I now have Benedryl Allergy (given to me by the hospital) next to my bed incase I wake up all lumpy, then I can take one and the itching will stop within 15 mins. I have been told its the itching that causes the lumps, but when I am asleep I dont know I am itching so when I wake up its too late. The hospital have said it will go over time but no-one knows when!!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Aug 2004 18:52

No helpful suggesstions - just a sympathetic word and hope someone else comes up with something to help you. My cousin suffered through eating fish and strawberries - Doctor just said don't eat them!!

Sand

Sand Report 21 Aug 2004 19:12

Hi Dilys, I can sympathise. 3 years ago, I was going through a huge amount of stress and my body just erupted! I had urticaria, huge hives, constant itching, and my face would swell up to football sized--it was a miserable time, and embarrassing as I looked hideous. A friend of mine is going through the same thing now--I think the hot weather is a contributory factor. Anyway, I was treated with mizollen which did help, but a dietician sorted the problem. It turned out I was allergic (or had developed a sensitivity to) aspirin. Little did I know that aspirin is in all sorts of foods--strawberries and lots of other fruits, nuts, booze, lots of veg, food colourings, etc. She put me on a very restrictive diet for 3 weeks--I basically lived on jacket potatoes! After this, I slowly re-introduced foods until I had a more balanced diet but was careful to note any response due to the 'aspirin' foods. It seemed to kick start my system, and I've been fine since. I can now eat most of the 'banned' foods (not nuts) as long as i don't go mad. I think today's foods are so over-processed that we can develop hyper-sensitivity. It has made me much more aware of what I put in my mouth, especially after I had an attack of anaphylaxis on the M1 after eating Jelly Babies! I almost died as a toddler from eating peanuts, so I am well aware of the risks. It might be worth you trying a very bland diet for a bit to see if that helps, or you could ask for a refferal to a dietician from your GP. Another common trigger, apart from strawberries and nuts is tomatoes. I still now find that stress can cause a reaction to something I'm normally fine with, so it would be worth you looking at that as a possible trigger. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon! Sal

Brenda

Brenda Report 24 Aug 2004 12:55

A homeopathic remedy that may be helpful is Urtica Urens. I found it brilliant when my daughter had an attack of Urticaria, and we didn't need to use the medication prescribed by the doctor. Best of luck to all sufferers. Brenda.