General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Time period and county?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Aug 2004 07:42

Don't know if this has been asked before (don't check the general topics board too often).......but, others have mentioned their ancestors being taken away by aliens, as the ancestors aren't to be found anywhere.......mine apparently boarded in 1826 in Essex, 1720ish in Sussex and of course multiple landings all over Ireland...... Seriously (kind of), I am just wondering if there is a common time period or part of the UK or world that is notoriously difficult to research (besides Ireland, of course).

Ann

Ann Report 24 Aug 2004 07:57

For me it is Wales. Well not Wales in general, but those common surnames- I have an Evans in Cardiff, Davies in Carmarthen, and I don't even want to think about the Morgans!!!

Bev

Bev Report 24 Aug 2004 09:35

oh Strump! are you related to the Simpsons????? lol it would explain a few things LOL Bev

Philip

Philip Report 24 Aug 2004 09:42

I know the feeling, Ann. All those Morgans, Pughs, Evanss, (is that plural of Evans? lol!), Griffithssss etc etc. Then, like yours, they keep on shifting all over the place. One moment they're all hobnobbing in Aberystwyth, then they disappear and suddenly surface again on the Marches! Like something out of the Hobbit! lol! Philip

Bev

Bev Report 24 Aug 2004 09:46

My Rabbitts & Parfitts never moved out of the village, but they still managed to go missing on census night!!! Personally i think it was an oversight on the authoritys part that they didn't enumerate the local pub!!!!! Bev

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Aug 2004 10:46

Lisa, I've found a lot of Cornish Tin Miners moved to Lancashire in the 1870's/1880's, and many Suffolk Agricultural labourers were thrown off their jobs during the agricultural revolution in the mid 1800's, when a lot of agricultural machinery was 'mechanised'. Some moved to larger villages or towns to become engineers at these machine factories - others disappeared! Maggie

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Aug 2004 10:55

Most of my relatives have turned up eventually, though not always where I was looking for them, haha! No particular time period (I've only just got back to 1800 or so with some of them). Common names is tricky - I have 2 William Williams living with sons called Charles, age difference only v. slight, in a small village of about 250 people. Still trying to work out which is whom when! On the other hand, I have Chowns & Smoothy in my tree - quite rare names but still difficult to track down the right ones. My gt gt grandfather Robert Chowns was born Aston Rowant, Oxon. There are loads of Chowns in Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire (where Robert moved to) but I have yet to establish where he fits in. The truth is out there. nell