General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with new setup/contacts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 24 Aug 2004 09:31

I have been offline for two weeks while i moved house due to ntl dragging their heels reconnecting me and i come back to an unrecognisable Genes Reunited. I have loads of requests to view my tree giving a first name of the person requesting but no surname they are trying to connect on. Am i missing something, there is nothing in Your contacts either. If you are one of the persons that have contacted me, i apologise for not answering your request. I tend to only open my tree if there is a connection. If you can give me an indication as to how to use the new system or point me in the direction of the notice of update from GR i would appreciate it. Regards to all George

Philip

Philip Report 24 Aug 2004 09:38

Hello George, Yes, we've all had similar problems. It's resurrected all my old contacts, including ones I delted some time ago, so I've had to do a load of housekeeping to get it back into shape. Lots of moaning going on in various quarters, try and ignore it, I think it will be a better website (eventually) lol! Philip

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Aug 2004 09:59

George I have had several requests to see my tree, I have replied to all of them saying, gladly but what do you think might be the connection. Only one reply, from a gentleman who apologised for pressing the wrong button! Similarly, I found I am able to see a lot of trees for which I haven't asked permission to view. I e-mailed GR and they inform me that everytime you send an e-mail (no matter what the subject matter) you grant permission to the receiver to view your tree. So now when you send a message you must then go to Your Contacts and delete permission. This appears to be more unnecessary housekeeping for me with no added benefit. Not to mention the fact that until I queried it with GC I had no idea I had given people access to my tree. Sure, they can't alter it, but they can get details about my family without me knowing about it. What if they find a link and don't tell me? nell

George

George Report 24 Aug 2004 15:17

Thanks for your replies, all 8 pages of my contacts from the last year are there, i would estimate getting on for 200 contacts. The ones since i went offline have no messages except John etc requests that you open your tree. No surname of the person or who they are researching so not a lot of use really. GR had its faults before but at least we knew who was e-mailing us.