General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How far........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 24 Aug 2004 16:12

.......... do you think we can go with our tree's? Everytime I think I have gone as far as I can another bit of info pops up & how wide do you think is reasonable for us to go ?

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 25 Aug 2004 13:35

I agreee Baz it's terrific fun . But just how far should we spread the net? My tree is as wide as it is tall - some of the family find that its irrelevant :( For instance a grt grt grandfathers sister and her husbands family. I found this family fascinating - but my enthusiasm was not shared . I think maybe I'm too much of a blood hound LOL Much happiness Debi *gone as far as 1480 on paternal mothers mothers family LOL*

Sarah

Sarah Report 25 Aug 2004 15:06

I have to agree with you deborah - I have lots of people and notes in my tree that everyone thinks are totally irrelevant...to me every bit of info I find is as fascinating as the next, regardless of how obscure the connection. Thanks to my little (?) hobby I am now in contact with the wife of a cousin (3rd I think, maybe once removed, but I get a bit confused with the relationship) who lives in Canada....my grt-grt-grt-grandfather's brother emigrated in 1860. Mary and I have swapped tons of information about our sides of the family and I'm over the moon to be in contact with living rellies so far away. I think the more stuff you find out about siblings and more distant relatives, the more it helps get a broader picture of the family as a whole.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Aug 2004 16:07

Each member of the family you find is another stitch in the whole tapestry of the greater family. Go on adding to it, don't worry about what others say, as long as you can prove the relationshiip they belong to your family. Ann Glos

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 26 Aug 2004 16:38

I so enjoy it, but get a little downhearted with comments like ".......but their not blood related so we'll skim over them" and " ........ you have plenty shouldn't you now stop?" or "......... what do you need to know about them then as they are only witnesses to a marriage " LOL I do agree though with all 3 of you , it's just nice to know who they were and what made them tick. I even find it fascinating about the census forms - the people in the same street as my rellies , all going about their daily business etc etc. Much happiness Debi

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 26 Aug 2004 16:55

Debi 1480? How? (no parish records then.) Bob

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 26 Aug 2004 19:15

Bob Your quite right it's all thanks to a Will in 1524, Subsidy Return Tax 1568 , Hearth Taxes and so on. You can search much more using other sources : ) Much happiness Debi