General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two children with the same name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 25 Aug 2004 19:29

I'm now looking back to the 1700's and have found on more than one occassion where siblings have been given the same first name. This has happen when the first child has died, anyone else found this?

Jan

Jan Report 25 Aug 2004 19:31

I've discovered my grandparents had a George born in the early 1900s and then my dad, George William, in 1921. Jan

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 25 Aug 2004 19:36

It's quite common Rachel as child mortality was very high, even at the end of the 19th century around half of all children didn't reach the age of 5. Bob

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 25 Aug 2004 20:43

Yes Rachel It happened quite often my grandparents first child Amelia Ellen b1888 died before the 1891 census and my dads' youngest sister was also called Amelia Ellen I have also found instances were the husband has married twice and children from the second marriage have the names of deceased children from the first marriage. Bren

Patricia

Patricia Report 25 Aug 2004 20:55

Rachel. I too have had this one Amy died in 1802 and another girl was born 1802 who they called Amy.. Confused me at first, but then they didn't have all the names we have now. Pat

Mags

Mags Report 25 Aug 2004 21:09

When I was young there was family in our village with three sons:- Herbert, Albert and Bertram. Yes - you've guessed - they were all called Bert! Now that will be interesting for their descendants ! Magsx

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Aug 2004 21:15

Rachel Yes. I had a gt grandmother who had two sisters called Sophia. My father's mother had two brothers both called John who died. One of them was called John William, and by coincidence the year after he died, my father's father's brother, also John William, died. His parents named the next son to be born John William. nell

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 25 Aug 2004 21:35

Hi, this still happened in the 1900's. My dad, Sam, always told me he had a brother named Sam, who died before he was born. My dad was born in 1935! When I first started to do my family tree, he asked me to try and get the certificate, to see if he was right. He was, his brother was born in 1924 and died in 1926! Maybe its because my grandad was called Sam, and they wanted somebody to carry the name on, but still a bit wierd to me!! Best wishes Carol

Rachel

Rachel Report 25 Aug 2004 22:08

thanks anyone for puuting me straight. Rachel