General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

permission to view tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 26 Aug 2004 15:43

Someone has if i will give them access to my tree, They havent contacted me before and i dont know which names they are researching. I have asked why they want access , do you think i did right? I bet i dont hear from them again, but i would ask for access to someone elses tree without explain first why i thought we had a link.,,even then i wouldnt ask,,I always thought it was a private thing ,,a tree,or am i being silly?

Sidami

Sidami Report 26 Aug 2004 16:18

Hi Clare, You are not being silly, I would not open my tree to just anybody, unless we had a connection. When I first started researching my family, one of the first things that was said to me my a member of the family who gave me a lot of information, was to not give away too much at a time as their are people out there that may profit from this, so I am always very careful, but I doo wish I wouldn't keep getting this from people also to view my tree. Sue...................

Ann

Ann Report 26 Aug 2004 17:17

Claire, there have been several threads about this, I think it is to do with the way that the new, upgraded system works. It has caused a lot of confusion with people unwittingly asking for access to trees. Chances are the person who asked you did it by mistake aswell!!!

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 26 Aug 2004 19:49

The person who asked to look at my tree wanted to know if i am researching two names in the London area, If she had checked properly she would be able to see exactly who is researching these names . It seems that she is sending the same e-mail to lots of people,,regardless if they are researching the same names or not in the hope of finding a match.If the names are in your tree she would access to it.. Somehow,,,i dont think so...do you?

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2004 09:03

There have been a lot of people who have asked to see my tree since the site was revamped. None of them has said why. I always e-mail back because if they think there is a connection I'd like to know for my own research, and because if they then say "I think Fred Bloggs in your tree is my gt grandfather, his son Bert is my granddad", I might be able to say "No, my Fred Bloggs died after his only child Joan was born", which would save us both time. Of all the people who have asked to see my tree that I've e-mailed, only one replied and that was to say he had pressed the wrong button! nell