General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EXPERT HELP WANTED - Bagle.J virus

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 26 Aug 2004 19:56

I have a recurring problem with this virus, apparently, it copies itself and then starts again when you re-start PC. I have instructions to remove the copies, but, it won't allow me to do this, instructions are to open the registry editor, which it will not do, I have windows XP, does anyone have any idea's?

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 26 Aug 2004 20:02

Angela,,,i have XP ,,where is the registry editor? Im hopeless with this sort of stuff

Bob

Bob Report 26 Aug 2004 20:13

Go here: http://safecomputing.uchicago.edu/bulletins/worms/bagleJ.html scroll down to "Download McAffees Stinger" and follow the instructions. Good luck Bob

Judy

Judy Report 26 Aug 2004 20:40

Angela....you're most likely having difficulty removing the virus because it's running in the background....which allows it to keep duplicating itself when you attempt to restart the PC. Start your PC in SAFE MODE - instructions, which are easy, are on the TIPS board, thread "1 Stop Routine PC Maintenance." Then follow the instructions you have for removing the virus....this should allow you to remove it. Before you do the above....while still running the PC in regular mode....update your virus definitions for your anti-virus. While in safe mode, run a virus scan....this, too, will help. If you're using AVG as an anti-virus, you might want to consider using a program like NORTON or McAFFEE as AVG is not one of the better anti-viruses. Judy

Angela

Angela Report 26 Aug 2004 21:10

Judy Thank you for your reply, it is AVG that's on here which didn't detect the virus until it had infected 300 files! I will try and start it in safe mode but I've had trouble doing that before. Ang

Judy

Judy Report 26 Aug 2004 21:18

Angela....you'll probably have difficulty removing this while AVG is on your PC. Norton or McAffee will clean it up for you with little or no problem....I believe both can be purchased online. Either one of these programs will save you the trouble of henpecking through your PC looking for and having to remove infected files.....Do, though, run either one in SAFE MODE for best results. (Personally, I like the Norton!) Judy

Angela

Angela Report 27 Aug 2004 08:20

JUDY-says PC will not start in safe mode if files required to start system are corrupted or damaged. Will try and download new-anti virus later on. BOB-going to try out your suggestion, I have already tried a tool to fix it, but it keeps returning.

Judy

Judy Report 27 Aug 2004 08:31

Angela.....Be sure, if you haven't done so yet, back up any important files OFF of your PC in the event that you may have to wipe your hard drive clean or the virus incompacitates your PC to the point you can't start it and you lose everything. Judy

Victoria

Victoria Report 27 Aug 2004 11:15

Hi Have you turned off your system restore? If not it will keep restoring it back.......to turn it off right click on My Computer and go to Properties, there is a tab called System Restore, then tick the box to turn it off. Now you can go through the removal procedure and re start your PC without it restoring the virus. Hope this helps Vix P.s Don't forget to turn it back on again once the virus has gone!!

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 27 Aug 2004 11:16

Angela, Stinger works when others don't. When you've downloaded it then run it weekly. I have AVG- keep it up to date- I do mine every 3 days Have Agnitum- free fire wall- its good too. Hope you get sorted soon Viv

Angela

Angela Report 27 Aug 2004 12:27

Thank you for all your messages. I think I maybe getting somewhere. The stinger removed most of the files, which then allowed me to go into safe mode and into the registry to remove the rest. I have tried to download norton anti-virus but it won't let me do it. I will try turning off the system restore, I have done a lot of work on here, but, it's still running really slow and not fully operational. Thank you for all your suggestions.