General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CRYPTIC clue, Can you help please? (SORTED!!)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valice in

Valice in Report 28 Aug 2004 09:29

Stuck on one answer in Xword, The answer is 5 letters. Clue, It's observed round top of halo I seem to be left with S?E?A Would be glad of ideas and reasonings if you can help. Val

Mags

Mags Report 28 Aug 2004 10:33

Hi Val, Are you sure that the 'A' is right? The answer could be SHEEN - seen(observed) around h ( the top of halo) Magsx

Bev

Bev Report 28 Aug 2004 10:36

i was thinking exactly the same!!! we're a clever lot on here eh?

Mags

Mags Report 28 Aug 2004 10:37

Morning Baz - expect we will be getting the down clue any minute now! lol Magsx

Mags

Mags Report 28 Aug 2004 10:48

Baz - you got the same newspaper then? (is that the down answer) or are you being modest? lol Magsx

Mags

Mags Report 28 Aug 2004 10:56

Baz - Sorted!! LOL Magsx

Valice in

Valice in Report 28 Aug 2004 14:21

Hi helpers, the reason for thinking that A is correct, because the clue down is given as Nark (anag.) to which I put Rank would you agree that is correct? Val

Valice in

Valice in Report 28 Aug 2004 14:37

well if the clue is wrong Baz, theres not much hope is there!! lol thanks for trying Val

Valice in

Valice in Report 28 Aug 2004 15:21

I liked Mags answer, but can you think of a word like ANRK or RNAK, got a word for the K position. Will let you know the answer, but will have to be patient won't know for 2 weeks. Val

Mags

Mags Report 28 Aug 2004 15:59

Val Knar is another name for a knot on a tree. I think that puts the 'n' in the right place?? Is that any help? Magsx

Mags

Mags Report 28 Aug 2004 17:06

Hi Stephen - no - knar is a noun meaning much the same as gnarl. Magsx

Valice in

Valice in Report 28 Aug 2004 18:14

Thanks Mags & Baz, we were discussing this clue over a cuppa this afternoon, had a thought to look up if there was such a word a KNAR, as I liked Mags answer of SHEEN, and found as you have that there was, so that fitted in nicely, have also found a better word to go with the other answer which I had fitted to K, to end in R, so now i'm very happy., and will be able to sleep tonight. lol. Thanks to all who've helped Love Val

Mags

Mags Report 28 Aug 2004 18:25

Glad it's complete Val - thought we had sorted it this morning so I signed off and didn't come back on until this afternoon - else you could have been knar'd before lol Love cryptic crosswords - so don't forget me if you get stuck! Sleep well! Magsx