General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trouble posting

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norah-Lynne

Norah-Lynne Report 28 Aug 2004 23:21

HI I know this is a general difficulty but mainly if I try to post I get "page unavailable" - GR does not respond to emails - any ideas - is it my PC - config? NL

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 28 Aug 2004 23:25

i get the same problem too have also emailed gc but got answer sorry not much help

Judy

Judy Report 28 Aug 2004 23:43

Norah: You'll often get that message during peak hours - when many are on their PC's trying to use a site. The following, though, should be changed on your PC as it will help....if not on this site, other ones: Fixing “Website Can’t Be Found” and other Site Error Messages More than likely you have trouble with accessing quite a few sites.....particularly getting the message "website can't be found" among a few other error messages. Try the following and it should solve your problem. 1. Go to START. 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL. 3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS. 4. Change NUMBER OF DAYS TO KEEP IN HISTORY to “0” and click APPLY 5. A box appears with tabs labeled across the top. Click on ADVANCED. 6. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY. 7. Make sure the following has check marks next to it: Use USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. 8. Also make sure you check off EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILE WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED. More than likely USE TLS 1.0 is not checked of and it should be. This will give you the error messages, as well as a few others, that will prevent you from viewing web sites and the error you are getting. Make sure you empty your cookies cache as well as temporary internet files once in a while, too, as this slows down your computer and these folders "remember" the error pages and may continue you to bring the error back up until you empty the cookies and temp folders. Judy

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 29 Aug 2004 17:10

I had a reply to my request for help. I was told it was partly to do with the re-organisation of the site. I followed Judys advice and emptied cookies and that helped considerably. What I need now is to know why when I make my tree accessible to contacts they still are unable to view it, and sometimes vice vera. Rosemary(Essex)

Judy

Judy Report 29 Aug 2004 17:19

Not being able to view another's tree and vice versa could be the site's problem.....I know I'm having a heck of a time trying to re-import my tree to the site after I updated it. It could also be those trying to view your tree need to make the setting change I mentioned above. Believe it or not, it does make a big difference. Emptying cookes and temporary internet files needs to be emptied as well since the "error" is retained on the PC the next time the page is brought up. If your settings were changed and you emptied cookies and temp files, I would think that the problem is one that GR has to straighten out on their end. Judy