General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Second cousin and cousin once removed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 31 Aug 2004 08:31

Please forgive my utter ignorance but I am unsure of what these terms actually mean. I would appreciate if some kind person could educate me on the matter. I'm new to this game if you haven't worked it out already! Thanks

Judy

Judy Report 31 Aug 2004 08:36

The Right Name For The Right Cousin Conversation on the subject "who is related to whom" bogs down over terminology, particularly when it comes to defining cousins. Your first cousin is your parents' brother's or sister's child. However, the first cousin's child is not your second cousin, but your first cousin one removed. The child of the first cousin once removed is your first cousin twice removed, and his child is your first cousin three times removed. Your second cousin is your grandparents' brother's or sister's grandchild. That second cousin's child is your second cousin once removed, and his child is your second cousin twice removed, and so on. Your third cousin is your great-grandparents' brother's or sister's great-grandchild. The third cousin's child is your third cousin once removed, and his child is your third cousin twice removed. Other Occasionally Misunderstood Terms Siblings: Parents in common, brothers and sisters Grandnephew and Grandniece: the grandchild of your brother or sister Grandaunt or Granduncle: the brother or sister of your grandparent Great-Grandaunt or Great-Granduncle: the sister or brother of your great-grandparents Stepfather or Stepmother: the husband of your mother or the wife of your father by a subsequent marriage Stepchild: the child of your husband or wife by a former marriage Stepsister or Stepbrother: the child of your stepfather or stepmother Half Sister or Half Brother: the child of your mother and stepfather or the child of your father and stepmother, or of either parent by a former marriage In-Laws: your connections by the law of marriage (as distinct from relatives by blood) in particular, your husband's or wife's relatives and your own brother's wife or sister's husband Ancestor: the person from whom you descend directly, such as a grandparent or a great-grandparent Descendant: the person who descends directly from you, such as a grandson or granddaughter Lineal Relations: those in a direct line of ascent or descent, such as a grandfather or granddaughter Collateral Relations: those relatives who are linked by a common ancestor, such as aunts, uncles, or cousins.

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 31 Aug 2004 08:41

Thank you so much. That makes it crystal clear

Judy

Judy Report 31 Aug 2004 08:53

Only too glad to be of service! Judy

Karen

Karen Report 5 Sep 2004 01:24

Thank you for that too I am going to print this out