General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fly-Drives to America

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 31 Aug 2004 19:53

Has anyone organised a fly-drive holiday to America themselves. We would like to tour the south-west of America sometime (Colorado, Arizona Nevada etc.). Possibly fly to Denver and return from Las Vegas. Is it best to book a flight well in advance or last minute. Which company is best for car hire and which for flights. Any advice would be helpful.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 31 Aug 2004 20:07

Linda from Bolton - Is "work" a travel agent, if so which one?

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 31 Aug 2004 21:50

Hi My parents are over there at the moment! In Vegas right now. They have been quite a few times and have found it generally cheaper to book flights and car hire separately rather than a fly drive. My parents usually wait and book their accommodation over there as cheaper than doing it here, or book a few nights in Vegas on internet as cheaper than through travel agents. Also, maybe check out the car hire american websites and compare the prices against booking it on UK sites. Just thinking of ways to save money! Joanne

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 31 Aug 2004 22:04

Thanks Joanne - any advice is helpful.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 31 Aug 2004 22:41

Brian, You really do need to shop around, as we go over to the States normally every other year, where possible. I have picked up some brilliant fly/drives, but on other occasions I have booked just a cheap flight and got car hire at the airport. I tell them I work for either BA or Ford's (Yeh right! have never really 'worked' in years let alone for them!) I ask for a 'corporate rate', and if they ask for ID I just say that I would not bring my ID card with me as if I lost it I would not be able to get back into work! A couple of years back, I got 150 DLRS off the car for 2 weeks and we paid 35 dlrs a night for the room when our friends paid 85, and he works for BA! One thing we always do though is book our first nights hotel with the agent here then you get the courtesy bus, most car hire companies will then deliver the car to you hotel the next morning. Got it down to a fine art now!! Good luck and have a great holiday

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 1 Sep 2004 03:47

Another way to get a discount on hotel rooms / car rentals is to show your Automobile Association card. If you don't belong to the BAA (I think that is what it is over there) it may be worth joining. Also when we go to Vegas, I use the internet to go into the web sites of individual hotels. They usually have "Hot deals" rates. I find it easier to call them, then I can ask what cards are needed for a discount. Oh! by the way some hotels give a seniors discount. At the Flamingo its for 50 and over.

Lily

Lily Report 1 Sep 2004 08:59

The only thing I've picked up from a friend who does it annually, is that it is so much cheaper if you can return the hire car to the airport you collected it from............

Lily

Lily Report 1 Sep 2004 09:12

Oh......and if you are doing any internal flights in USA, book them at the same time as the main flight over the pond.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Sep 2004 09:22

I can't add to the advice Brian. I thought you were off to Kyrenia. Planning the next trip already? I don't blame you! Have a great time.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Sep 2004 09:28

We did just that trip a few years ago. We did a tailor made fly drive with BA and it was excellent. Unfortunately BA seem to be going down hill so don't know what it would be like with them now. of course it wasn't dirt cheap because they put you in god hotels but the planning was very good. We have also organised our own 'fly drive' booking car hire/hotels in advance. That was to the Canyons and las vegas, amd another one to New England, NY State and Niagra. Both worked very well. I love the States to visit but unfortunately we have fallen foul of the new visa ruling, our passports expire early next year so we would need to get visas and we are not prepared to trek to London not knowing how long we will have to queue etc and pay about £70 each for a visa. So we will be giving the States a miss. Ann Glos

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 1 Sep 2004 19:42

A big thankyou to everyone who has replied to my fly-drive thread! When I logged on tonight I was surprised at the number of replies I had. I have taken on board all the comments. Yes Gweneth we are going to Kyrenia next - in October the fly-drive to the US is possibly for September next year. Life's a bitch when you are retired ! ! ! Lesley Silverstone - Canada is another country we would like to re-visit, a wonderful country and the people are so very friendly. The Rockies are . . . . well . . . . awsome!!! Kim from Sandhurst - loved your comments, I'll try that!!!