General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Request to view tree!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laurie

Laurie Report 31 Aug 2004 23:51

I am a bit lost since this site has changed. I keep getting a request from somebody to view my tree but they wont tell me who they are interested in?!! Is there a way I can find out who it is they are interested in as I dont want to allow anybody access. Not being funny but I've worked on it solid for well over a year and done really well with the odd help from others. What would you do, do you think I am right? Laurie

Annie

Annie Report 31 Aug 2004 23:55

HIya I've had about 20 of these since the site update. I tend to reply in a positive vein that I'm thrilled they seem to share the same interests, I then give them a bit more detail asking them to come back to me to share these interests. And then I hear ABSOLUTELY nothing. I tink it's a blip, sadly, but always hopeful there will be a real family link xxx A

Laurie

Laurie Report 1 Sep 2004 00:01

i wouldn't think of asking someone to view their tree without telling them who I was interested in. I have a couple of names in my tree that are Irish and more common than I thought but every single person that has contacted me in the past isn't related. Laurie

Laurie

Laurie Report 1 Sep 2004 00:03

Hi Donna, I did reply back asking who they thought the connection was with but their reply was "please could you give me access to your tree"!!

Melissa

Melissa Report 1 Sep 2004 03:29

You could tell them that you have more than one tree, ask them which one their interested in. The only way they can ask for your tree without a message attched is if your already on their contact list. i.e. they have sent you a message previously. If their initial message is 'can i view your tree?', that's very rude not introducing themselves. I would be blunt and say not until i know who your looking for. Mel :-)

Angela

Angela Report 1 Sep 2004 08:32

HI LAURIE IVE HAD SAME PROBLEM QUITE ALOT HAVE ASKED TO VIEW MY TREE. MOST REPLY AND SAY THEY DONE IT BY ACCIDENT. BUT IVE HAD THAT MANY IVE STOPPED REPLYING TO ASK WHY THEY WANT TO VIEW IT, MY TREE ISNT VERY INTERSTING ANYWAY. ANGIE

Ann

Ann Report 1 Sep 2004 08:42

I have not had a single request to view my tree- is that worse ? It means my tree is of no interest to anybody!!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Sep 2004 09:37

I had two or three of these recently but the people did reply when I asked why they wanted to view and not one of them had asked to see my tree. I have e mailed GR support about this and they say they are puzzled as to why it is happening. They also insinuated that I was unusual for having it happen. This is probably because nobody else is informing them. Please e mail support and tell them it is happening as the more that report it the more they are likely to act on it. ann glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 09:45

As I said on another thread on this board (possibly last week) I e-mailed GR about this as I have had a lot of requests for people to view my tree. I always respond by saying yes if they could tell me how they think there is a connection. I've only had one response so far, from a man who apologised and said he pressed the wrong button. GR e-mailed me and said that EVERY TIME YOU E-MAIL SOMEONE YOU AUTOMATICALLY GIVE THEM PERMISSION TO SEE YOUR TREE. They said that since the people who view your tree can't change the details, they don't think this is a security issue. I think it is because they could take info about your family and put it on theirs and then someone else could get it and not only might there NOT be a connection, but if there was you would never know about it. nell

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Sep 2004 09:46

Some where, there is a message box, possibly some kind of email, that has a box which is ticked. this is the request to view a tree, if you are NOT interested in the tree, you UNtick the box.but as has been said...free info, is 'better' than paying for it....Bob------ooooops! Little Nell, you beat me to it.