General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching by Soundex & Wild Cards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 19:16

Hi all, I am starting this thread to remind GR that we need the above included in our search facility. I have the only Ayleward on the site, and it doesn't tell me that there are a heap of Aylwards. I have 9 variations of Weatherall in my tree, and loads of Cockbones but no Cockburns which is where everyone else is. We really need a search facility which gives us the alternatives, or otherwise we can easily miss a link if perhaps one of us has misspelt a name, or if the Parish Clerk was a tad unreliable. All supporters sign here please then I will email GR to look at this thread. Jim

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 19:56

Good idea Jim. I'm sure they mentioned this when the 'new' site was launched recently, but they should keep us updated. Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 19:57

I agree. I have Chowns/Chownes/Chouns/Chounes in my tree. nell

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Sep 2004 22:21

I would find that really helpful. Count me in too.

Mags

Mags Report 1 Sep 2004 22:47

Although I haven't yet had a problem I can see what a really good idea it would be to have the facility on here - so add my name too. Magsx

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 1 Sep 2004 23:04

I'll go for that. I've got Macaree's (aka Marsee,Macrae etc.) Horsup's (originally Allsopp) and a few others spelt unusual ways. The sooner there's soundex/wildcards the better.

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Sep 2004 16:06

Hi Jim and all I think that is a fantastic idea. My main name has 32 different variations (apparently!) I have no idea what they all are but somekind of wildcard searching would be good. Lynne

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 3 Sep 2004 05:53

Great idea - add my name.

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 3 Sep 2004 05:53

Great idea - add my name.

Bob

Bob Report 3 Sep 2004 06:16

Me too

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Sep 2004 10:36

I have had a reply form Estelle, (Michelle is on leave) to say that a Namex search facility is planned for in the next month or two. Can't wait.