General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Argh!! I have an interview!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 1 Sep 2004 22:11

PLEASE HELP! I have an interview on the 9th in London for an international placement scheme. I would be working in NYC!! I would be working with young people with disabilities of all kinds. I dont need experience with this, which is just as well because I don't have any. But how do I best present myself? What do I need to prepare myself for? I've not had a proper interview like this before and I'm so scared. It's highly unlikely I'll get in.... but if I do, WOW!!! (I want to become a social worker eventually and this is just the experience I need). They ask for references, which is fine. The only prob is that my professor might be away on holiday and I only have his uni email address to contact him on. I'm so scared this will flop. I also will have to take the day off from my current job so I am hoping that I can swap the day with another day to work.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 22:22

Chloe, We all like to make a good first impression, but the most important thing you can do for any potential employer is....be yourself. Putting on a front is very transparent, especially to Social Workers. If you get the job it will be better for all round, including the disabled you will be working with, if you can be comfortable in your role. Wishing you all the best. Jim

badger

badger Report 2 Sep 2004 01:37

Jim hit,s the nail on the head Chloe,be yourself and be genuine ,an experienced social worker will pick it up straight away ,and you have your qualifications,.Go getum,and best of luck.Fred.ptfg.

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 2 Sep 2004 10:26

Chloe I just want to wish you all the best with your interview. I can only second the advice you've already been given. Love Lorrainexx

Anne

Anne Report 2 Sep 2004 10:31

Good luck Chloe, The same as the others have said be yourself and have a good sense of humour, my sister is a carer and her students have a wicked sense of humour, they'd make a cat laugh!! Lynda

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 2 Sep 2004 11:31

Ok as an ex-recruitment consultant here is the deal..... Wear something smart but COMFORTABLE... if you truss yourself into something you don't feel comfortable in it will show. If they ask a question you can't answer, NEVER LIE, that lie may trip you up.... explain that you don't know the answer but you are willing to learn. Be open and enthusiastic..... and as a social worker be caring. read up as much as you can on the facilities in NYC and find out as much as you can about what is expected so there are no surprises to catch you off guard. But the most important one is...... Be yourself, it is personality that gets people their roles.... if you pretend to be someone else you will fail in their expectation when you eventually become you to do the role!!

BABZ...

BABZ... Report 2 Sep 2004 11:50

I know you feel very nervous and I can understand that. I'd just like to say..whats the worst thing that can happen? Imagine if a tiger got loose from its cage while you are at the zoo...... and it was stalking you and only you....its getting closer .......and its sniffing you....... and scratching at your ankles........ Is your heart pounding? mine is !! This is what I do when I have an interview, I tell myself "I'm only going to have a chat to another human being who is probably as nervous as me" Good Luck :o)))) Babz ps. I must add....I've never failed an interview.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 2 Sep 2004 21:08

Thank you everyone. This is all so maddening. Fingers crossed!

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 21:22

Hi Chloe - as all the others have said be yourself.l work with students with learning difficulties, adults beteween 21 and 33 ish, mostly downs, they are such a lovely,wicked bunch - hope you get it, you'll love it. If by any chance some students are there for the interview(this happened to me in a residential home, although they had physical disabilites not learning), make sure if you talk to them that you talk to THEM and look at them not the other person, there is nothing worse than someone asking the carer or whoever a question that is intended for the student/resident - oh gawd hope l have'nt put you off. Good luck:o) Jude sarf wales

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 10 Sep 2004 11:00

any news Chloe? Did it go well?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Sep 2004 11:18

Come on Chloe, We are all gagging for good news.

Sandra

Sandra Report 10 Sep 2004 11:48

hi chloe i hope the interview went well, and i hope you get the job, its very rewarding, working with learning difficulties i did it for a few years and it taught me alot sandra

Anne

Anne Report 10 Sep 2004 12:35

How did it go Chloe, please let us know! Love Lynda

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 14 Sep 2004 11:07

I got an email from Chloe and she thinks she messed up, but has to wait and see what the verdict is officially!!