General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If I Knew...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 2 Sep 2004 09:18

I was given this poem by a work colleague yesterday, who knew I would appreciate it. I have no apologies at all for posting it - if anyone thinks I'm being too sentimental they obviously haven't lost anyone close to them. I have - too many - and I know lots of people are in the same situation. LIFE IS TOO SHORT - please can we stop all the bickering now??!

Helen

Helen Report 2 Sep 2004 09:25

I can't find your poem Kim

Kim

Kim Report 2 Sep 2004 09:28

If I knew it would be the last time That I'd see you fall asleep I would tuck you in more tightly And pray the Lord, your soul to keep. If I knew it would be the last time That I see you walk out the door I would give you a hug and kiss And call you back for one more. If I knew it would be the last time I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise I would video tape each action and word So I could play them back day after day If I knew it would be the last time I could spare an extra minute To stop and say "I love you" Instead of assuming you KNOW I do If I knew it would be the last time I would be there to share your day Well I'm sure you'll have so many more So I can let just this one slip away For surely there's always tomorrow To make up for an oversight And we always get a second chance To make everything just right There will always be another day To say "I love you" And certainly there's another chance To say "Anything I can do?" But just in case I might be wrong And today is all I get I'd like to say how much I love you And I hope we never forget Tomorrow is not promised to anyone Young or old alike And today may be the last chance You get to hold your loved one tight So if you're waiting for tomorrow Why not do it today? For if tomorrow never comes You'll surely regret the day That you didn't take that extra time For a smile, a hug, a kiss And you were too busy to grant someone What turned out to be their one last wish So hold your loved one closely And whisper in their ear Tell them how much you love them And that you'll always hold them dear Take time to say "I'm sorry" "Please forgive me", "Thank you" or "It's okay" And if tomorrow never comes You'll have no regrets about today...

Helen

Helen Report 2 Sep 2004 09:34

Kim this is a beautiful poem, and the words so very true. it is something we all need to be aware of, for none of us know what is 'just around the corner'.

Kim

Kim Report 2 Sep 2004 09:36

Sorry there was a delay with adding the poem! I'm off to a funeral later this morning :( Kim

Helen

Helen Report 2 Sep 2004 09:40

I'm in Oz Kim, but I'm thinking of you today Helen

Kim

Kim Report 2 Sep 2004 09:41

Gaynor - didn't mean to upset you - hugs! But I think you already know evryone here loves you :) !! Kim xx

Kim

Kim Report 2 Sep 2004 09:43

Thanks Helen, v sweet of you... Kim xx

Kim

Kim Report 2 Sep 2004 09:47

Thanks Gaynor - loads of love and strength to you xxx Kim

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 2 Sep 2004 09:48

Hi. It's not very often I say much but I had to say your poem brought tears to my eyes. It refers not only to our dear ones who have departed but also to everyday situations. Best wishes Carolyn

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 09:58

Can't see any bickering! this message board has been calm as the ocean sea for ages - well a week at least Big Sigh! Lin

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 2 Sep 2004 10:18

we will be thinking of you today hear in (bampton(oxfordshire) the poem was lovely

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 2 Sep 2004 11:25

It's beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

Joy

Joy Report 2 Sep 2004 11:26

Thanks. I'll be thinking of it at my (step)mother-in-law's funeral tomorrow. Joy

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 2 Sep 2004 14:10

Such beautiful sentiments Kim. I am always telling my little boy how much I love him (even when he has been a little monster and I'm at the end of my tether) because there's always that part of me that says you never know what life has in store for you. Lorrainex

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 14:20

Hi Kim, it's a lovely poem, so true. Will be thinking of you today, especially with the memories that will come back to you. Keep your chin up, speak soon. Mandy xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 14:22

Oh Kim that was beautiful,l also have tears and l, like Gaynor cry easily anyway, but oh boy what words. l am now going to text my son in Sri Lanka,he's not home till Tuesday,but not sure when l'll see him and daughter in London, although l speak most days and will see her on 8th Sept. Thank you so much for sharing that. I will be thinking of you today, chin up. Joy - will be thinking of you too:o( Jude sarf wales

Kim

Kim Report 2 Sep 2004 17:44

Thank you for your kind words - I shall tell my work friend! My dad died when I was 12 and my mum just over 3 years ago (when I was a bit older!). One thing I can hold my head up and say is that my mum knew exactly how much she meant to me - we always were saying "I love you" and always hugged and kissed goodbye. But I think no matter what the situation when you lose someone you still wish you had said/done something more...with my mum, I wish she had lived to see my son start school (preferably, that she had seen him leave school too!) and that she could have gone to Disneyland Paris with us - something she always talked of. We went on our own in the end. :(( The funeral was as ok as these things are...I was ok until one of my cousins started to cry!! Kim xx