General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

3rd September Merchant Navy Day - Please remember

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 2 Sep 2004 10:48

It took until the year 2000 for the Merchant Navy to gain recognition for the more than 30,000 men who died between 1939-1945. Although there is a memorial at Tower Hill and their names are recorded by the CWGC they were not included in the Remembrance Day parade until then. Please spare a few minutes to remember on this day those men who made such a vital contribution and paid with their lives. Many of us can never forget. Thank you. Kathleen

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 2 Sep 2004 10:50

My thoughts are with you Kathleen, and all those others who lost loved ones in the Merchant Navy. Love, Elisabeth xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 11:03

with you Kathleen xx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Sep 2004 16:26

It is sad that it took so long for the country to recognise their wonderful contribution. Thinking of you. We will remember them.

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 2 Sep 2004 21:56

my dad was in the mn in ww2 he was only 30 when he died of tb and last year i managed to get a photo( never had one b4) through pro gov uk i was made up

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 3 Sep 2004 00:53

In everlasting memory of Fireman Trimmer Henry Gannon - my Dad and his brother Fireman Trimmer Lawrence Gannon and all their shipmates "Empire Lakeland" sunk with all hands 8th March 1943 On all the oceans white caps flow You do not see crosses row on row For those who sleep beneath the sea Rest in peace for your country is free From Billy McGee's site British Merchant Navy at War 1929-1945

badger

badger Report 3 Sep 2004 01:58

Without the sacrifice of these men ,we would have lost the war,myuncle served on a destroyer [hms acheron] and was full of admiration for this service,which was unsung for over 50 years.Fred.ptfg.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 3 Sep 2004 10:52

Thank you all. It is just so sad that it took so long for these brave men to get the recognition they deserved. The least we can do now is to spend a few moments to give thanks for the Forgotten Fourth Service. Kathleen

June

June Report 3 Sep 2004 11:01

Fortuneately as far as I know I didn't lose anyone in the Merchanr Navy but I agree they should be honoured as all those that gave their lives

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 3 Sep 2004 12:40

Many of my Mother's side of the family served in both the Royal and Merchant Navies. I salute them all. Sheila