General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Meeting the family UPDATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 2 Sep 2004 12:37

I'm off to Bonnie Scotland Saturday to meet my husband's family.He has only discovered he has family this year (after 65 years) this was thanks to Margaret Drummond. Anyway they want to meet him (can't think why LOL) so off we go. He is excited and nervous both at the same time but after seeing other threads on GR of others in a similar setting he is feeling positive. Any tips you Guys or Girls re dos or don'ts. Thank you in advance. Pat Well back from Scotland met lots of the family not all (50 cousins) had a fantastic time, very nice people. We are having a family party next year (gathering of the clan LOL). So to anyone in a similar situation GO FOR IT. A BIG THANK YOU to all you lovely people who gave support and advice. Pat

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 2 Sep 2004 12:43

No tips, just wanted to wish you both luck!!

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 2 Sep 2004 13:41

Thank you for your replies, they shall see us exactly as we are "Family from hell"!. No I'm sure it will be ok we are not staying with them on this our initial visit just in case they hate us then 10 days is a long time but I feel we will all love one another. I'll let you know. Pat

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 14:05

At the end of last year, I met my 35-year-old brother and his family for the first time. We had spent about 2 months writing, emailing and phoning first, and just knew straightaway that we would get on fine. I think you are doing absolutely the right thing in not staying in their home though - you need a little space otherwise it can be too intense, and you want the relationship to get off on the right footing in order to be 'lifelong'. I wish you all the very best and hope that you will be as happy as we are. Mandy :)

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 2 Sep 2004 18:30

Thanks Mandy Thats what is so good about this site everyone gives sound advice and usually a laugh. I'm glad yours had a happy ending. We figured too that if we stayed with one member of the family it would upset another member and perhaps we would not be so free to visit everyone. Perhaps next time although my other problem is I am up in the middle of the night and at home I jst make a drink and do crosswords or read. This is difficult in someone else's home. I think it's the joys of growing old. Whoever said life begins at 40 told lies. Pat

Scooby's

Scooby's Report 2 Sep 2004 18:34

Hi It is a weird feeling, have been there but it is also a weird feeling for the other side too so don't expect too much--take a few photos with you, they are a good ice-breaker Good luck Janet

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 2 Sep 2004 19:29

Have a wonderful time and report back!! Linda x