General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what's the diffrence

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 2 Sep 2004 16:56

what is the diffrence between a village & a town & atown & a city? some one please enlighten me i offten wondred

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 16:57

i have no idea!! and actually i would like to know aswell!!!x

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 2 Sep 2004 16:59

my daughter tells me that a city has to have a cathedral to be called a city other than that i have no idea, karen

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 17:01

Yes, that's right, a city has to have a cathedral. Although I seem to remember that when the Queen was making new cities a couple of years ago, they didn't necessarily have a cathedral - something to do with special dispensation to do with the Queen! I'm sure someone else will have the correct info on this, but I also seem to remember that village/town might have something to do with the number of inhabited properties? Mandy :)

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 17:11

all sounds too confusing for me!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 17:42

Read and learn: http://www*.free-definition*.com/Town*.html I've always thought a town is a place with its own council - hence town hall. A hamlet is smaller than a village. For me a village has to have a pub and a church. nell

Margaret

Margaret Report 2 Sep 2004 17:51

As I understand it a city used to have to have it's own Cathedaral, although that notion was dispensed with in the 1970's. For a town to be a town it has to have it's own Town Council and usually a Town Hall. I also think that qualifing as a village might be something to do with having a church and a Parish Council, wheras Hamlets do not have to have either. Interestingly enough within a few miles of us we have a town with about 15,000 inhabitants and a village with over 40,000!!

Kim

Kim Report 2 Sep 2004 17:54

You can have an Abbey instead of a cathedral to be a city- like Bath. I remember being told of the differences at school, but can't remember them now. I seem to remember a hamlet needed a chapel?? Kim x

syljo

syljo Report 2 Sep 2004 18:32

A village is a small place and a town is bigger. Yes, a city has a cathedral, although often a town is loosely called "a city". I'm not sure whether there are any population numbers laid down for calling a village a village or a town a town. Sylvia xxx

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 3 Sep 2004 14:00

so what would where i live come under we have a town & village hall some say we are a big village other's say a small town what do you think it's so confusing

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 3 Sep 2004 14:11

thats easy, a village has an idiot, a town has a cryer and a city has a slicker! oh and a village has ducks what live in the middle of it! paul...

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 3 Sep 2004 17:03

well we dont have any duck's in the middle of our's & the village idiot well that could be me( ha ha )

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Report 3 Sep 2004 17:36

Guildford has a Cathedral bit is still a town. I think it has something too do with that to become a city you have too have the County Courts and Catherdral in it to become a city,