General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

do i or don

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 2 Sep 2004 17:02

my daughters birthday is coming up and she would love to have a kitten/cat but i'm in two minds,y'see our cat died in november last year and she was 17yrs old and for me i can't get my head around having another cat in the house but i know that both my girls really miss having one, what do i do? karen

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 17:09

hi, i grew up with a dog, she was a chow chow and was just like this overgrown teddy bear. i adored this dog, she was my first ever memory and i loved her so much. She was really ill the other year and after a few months, she was in so much pain we had to put her to rest. I never imagined that i would warm to any other animals after ruffles, but my sister really wanted kittens, so we took her to buy her a kitten(after thinking very long and hard about it!) she chose a boy kitten and called him ozzy. Just as we were leaving i noticed this tiny ball of fluff hiding behind a chair and just fell in love!! (how slushy!) i convinced everyone to let me have her, i took her home and called her fluffy. I could never ever be without these cats now, i never thought i would ever really like a cat but i love the both of them and they are my babies!! i say go for it!xx

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Sep 2004 17:16

If you decide to get a kitten you must get 2. I know it sounds mad but they will be company for each other when you are all out of the house. I would personally go get the kittens they are so loving. If you get 2,get them from different litters if possible. I will have to take mine for their grass now Sue

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 17:17

karen me and my husband have had this discussion.the way i see it our cat was a rescue cat and needed a loving home.didn't know his circumstances but to see him in that cage broke my heart.i have said that if it wasn't for us our cat would not have had a good home and life so when the time comes when our cat dies.i would like to do the same for another cat and give it a good home and a good life.i will be very sad when that time comes but will always know that my home can be another cats homexxxx(:

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 2 Sep 2004 17:31

Karen - you will never ever forget your cat - and nor should you, they give unconditional love and many happy memories of their silly antics - but a new kitten WILL help you come to terms with your loss. I think if you have had a family pet and they die, the house just seems so empty without them - everytime we lost one in our family Dad said 'no more', but we always did and are glad of it - they are all different characters and are great company. And yes, definitely get two if you can - mine have 7 years between them and altho my eldest took a long while to accept the newcomer, he loves her to bits now! Do I feel another "Need names for our kittens" thread coming on? lol

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 17:32

anne good idea .karen you have to get them now!xxx(:

Ann

Ann Report 2 Sep 2004 17:39

Hi Karen, I agree with the other replies, it's good for children to grow up with pets. You are obviously good pet owners as your previous cat lived such a long life. I also think it would be great for you to get two kittens........one each for your girls would be lovely and as said before they would keep each other company when everyone is out, Ann

badger

badger Report 2 Sep 2004 17:52

Someone on gr told me a while ago after my mother lost her dog to get another ,simply because if she didn,t ,it meant yet another pup wouldn,t have a loving owner ,basic ,but very true.Fred.

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 2 Sep 2004 18:02

i know you're all right,i don't really want to have kittens,i prefer older cats.kizzy was rescued along with two other cats that we had but Kiz outlived them both. I too think its good for children to have pets,i always thought people that didn't have them were strange. i'm warming to the idea, thanks everyone, karen.

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 2 Sep 2004 18:37

just looked at the local rspca website and may pay them a visit on monday, karen

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Sep 2004 18:46

Karen have you thought about ringing CATS PROTECTION for cats/kittens. they have many cats that need loving homes just like you and your family. luv to you and your family Sue

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 2 Sep 2004 19:05

Karen - if you want an older cat, definitely go to the RSPCA - they will make an appointment to come and inspect your home as being suitable etc, then I believe you get some kind of voucher which can go along with and choose your new adoptee(s) - you dont have to take 'any old cat' if you dont see one that captures your heart straight away - and I have even seen them 'reserved' at my local centre, if for instance it needs a little TLC before it can leave. Or try your local vets - they always seem to have notices of 'good homes wanted'. Cats Protection wouldn't even entertain me for a kitten because I WORK!! they said 'a kitten needs regular feeds throughout the day - yeah right! when did you know a cat that ate when you wanted it to - they'll eat when they want it. My 'kitten' is now 15 years old and never happier - except for when I'm in the kitchen of course LOL...........

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 2 Sep 2004 19:27

Hi Karen, After losing my dog just a couple of months ago, the house was empty, my wife was miserable, as was I,so, we bought another dog, best thing we ever did.