General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A really stupid question..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Sep 2004 22:35

Can anyone help? Ive been researching my family on the Isle of Man and was pretty confident I'd found them. But I have been stopped dead in my tracks by an email from a contact, who says do I know that there are TWO Isle-of-Mans, one is the one we all know and love, the other is "a small area of Lancashire". I have NEVER heard of the Isle of Man in Lancashire - have you? Im inclined to think this is rubbish but... as my family also have very strong links in Lancashire, this would explain a lot of mysteries! Help! (Told you it was a really stupid question) Update: Oh no! Has anyone got a really big map please? The "other" Isle of Man is apparently to the south of the Isle of Wight and slightly north of the Isle of Sky - thats the "other" Isle of Sky, not the Isle of Skye in Scotland!!! Oooooooh, help me, please!

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 2 Sep 2004 22:41

Here's a stupid answer. I don't know either! Badger Bill, Worthing [sorry, couldn't resist]

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 22:44

As far as I can tell, there is only one Isle of Man, but it appears to be considered as part of Lancashire, as the Isle of Wight is part of Hampshire. nell

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Sep 2004 23:03

Thanks everyone for your replies, I didnt REALLY think it was true, but as Geography is not my strong point I thought Id better check this before I blast my informant. Sad really, she's given me loads of info which I must now regard as suspect! I thought it was probably something to do with the strong links between IOM and Lancashire, and wonder if its an area of Lancs called "Isle of Man" because everyone who lived there came from the IOM? Oddly enough, the relative Im researching, who was born on the "real" IOM, had a younger sister who was born in Liverpool...