General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do I get one for me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fairy

Fairy Report 2 Sep 2004 23:05

Hubby and I already have Nelly the black lab ( as some of you know) She's nuts about him and never leaves his side, goes to work with him as well, me? I'm ignored until she wants food. I was thinking of getting a small dog for me, maybe a rescue dog. In your experience is this a good idea or not? By the way Nelly gets on with all dogs anyway. Jo.

Judy

Judy Report 2 Sep 2004 23:23

Go for it....I have three dogs... 2 pitbulls and a sheltie....all gotten at different times, different ages and different sizes....they all get along great, keep each other company, and each has a favorite human in the house! They give us endless hours of entertainment to boot! Judy

badger

badger Report 3 Sep 2004 01:31

I would get another Joanne,it would be company for you during the day ,and company for the other dog as well.I don,t want to be dense but what is a rescue dog ? you are on about a small rescue dog ,but having heard this i have visions of a dog with a flask around it,s neck ,and small they arn,t .Fred.ptfg.

Judy

Judy Report 3 Sep 2004 05:45

Fred: A rescue dog, at least here in the States, is a dog that is "rescued" and kept until a suitable adoptive family can be found opposed to being put in a pound and being put down after a period of time if not adopted. There are also many specialized rescues....Greyhound Rescue....where retired race hounds are taken and homes found when their careers are over, Pitbull Rescue, as some of these dogs, after being abused, are hard to place, etc.... Often these dogs are turned over by their owners...unable or no longer willing to care for them....I got my two Pitbulls that way and they are the nicest, most well mannered pets I've ever had. Judy

Fairy

Fairy Report 3 Sep 2004 09:13

Hi there, thanks for replying. Fred when I said a 'rescue' dog I meant one from the RSPCA or Battersea, one that needed a home. Certainly NOT the sort you were thinking of LOL. Jo.

badger

badger Report 3 Sep 2004 09:17

Right enough you two ,iv,e dropped a clanger again ,but i will tuck that bit of info away for future use,have a nice day ladies.Fred.ptfg.

June

June Report 3 Sep 2004 10:05

I would Joanne, I love dogs and there is only one thing better for me than having a dog, is having two! June xx

Fairy

Fairy Report 3 Sep 2004 10:53

Thanks again all of you. I might go later today to the RSPCA in Hertfordshire. I'll keep you posted and let you know. Jo.

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Sep 2004 14:08

hi jo go for it i had a rescue dog and she was lovely and got on well with other dogs to, it'll be company for yours as well catch up with you next week when i am back online, sandra

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 3 Sep 2004 14:27

Fred I used to think a Rescue dog was the St Bernard you were picturing : ) I have a rescue dog from Herts RSPCA..........you'll be vetted at home and at the time he cost us £50, that included his wotsits being snipped too as he was an unwanted cross bred collie pup. Much happiness Debi

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 7 Sep 2004 12:05

Ive just had a vision of Bernie Winters & snorbitz come in my head... Sorry Fred...only teasing E x