General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cooks Tips!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Sep 2004 18:53

Any good cooks know the secret of a good tasty yorkshire pud., have Mum and Dad coming to dinner on sunday,(nice roast!). Don't think I will get away with Aunt Bessie's!..

Maud

Maud Report 3 Sep 2004 20:21

Why not? I think the Aunt Bessie Yorkshire puds are ok, I used to make my own, but what a palavar, when its not necessary, and no waste either

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Sep 2004 20:25

You could be right, Maud!, and I have just seen the hot weather, forecast for sunday, perhaps roast meat with salad alfresco!..

Mags

Mags Report 3 Sep 2004 22:24

Hello Christine Sainsbury's do uncooked frozen puds which are more like home made. They come in little foil cups so you only need use how many you need. If you do decide to do your own - add an extra egg if you want them really puffy and have the fat/oil smoking before you put the batter in. If you pre-roast the beef add any 'dripping' to the fat to add extra flavour. My mouth's watering now! lol Magsx

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 3 Sep 2004 22:31

A good one to make is : Self raising flour A large egg And milk A pinch of salt. You`ll know the right consistancy when whisking the ingredients, it should sound like horses trotting. Make sure the fat is really hot ( smoking ) Pour into tin/s, cook for 20 minutes on gas mark 6. Don`t keep opening oven door to check, they`ll go flat From my wife, Jan

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 3 Sep 2004 23:50

If you make your yorkshire pud batter the night before and put it in the fridge,take the batter out about 1hr before you need it.then give it a realy good whisk and hot fat(smoking) in tins.top shelf in oven and the hottest setting on oven for about 20/30mins.Chefs on tv ALWAYS make their batter the night before and put in fridge. SUE

Bob

Bob Report 4 Sep 2004 00:03

Have a look at page 3 of my recipe thread wot I just ressurected

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Sep 2004 00:15

Do a suet pudding instead. Ingredients for four. 100g flour 50g suet pinch salt tsp baking powder approx 5 tblesp cold water About 40 minutes before you reckon the joint will be done, mix all the ingredients together and tip into the pan next to the meat. Crunchy on top, fluffy in the middle, soggy at the bottom. Something for everybody. Of course it isn't good for you, but it really is dead easy. (You could insulate lofts with my yorkshire puddings!) Brenda

badger

badger Report 5 Sep 2004 03:30

Has anyone got the recipe for the stodgy yorkshire pud ,you know ,the sort you throw the sausies in ,the stuff you used to get at school?. my wife makes nice fluffy ones and goes mad when i ask for the other sort ,so it looks as though i,mgoing to have to make my own.Fredptfg.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 5 Sep 2004 05:55

My hubby makes fab ones using 3 eggs and an oven as hot as it will go,,,success everytime,