General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ink cartridges.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jojo

Jojo Report 4 Sep 2004 08:28

Does anyone else find that cartridges for the printer are running out quicker. Only fitted one couple of weeks ago and its out of ink already, don't even use printer that much. Any suggestions! Jo.

badger

badger Report 4 Sep 2004 08:35

It depends on wether you use genuine ones,snides or fill your own,the two latter tend to run dry a lot quicker .I tend to use the snides from tesco and they arn,t too bad price wise or the usage time.Fred.ptfg.

Jojo

Jojo Report 4 Sep 2004 08:40

Always use Canon ones they're not cheap, thats what's so annoying. Jo.

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Sep 2004 08:43

Fred. I'm glad you have said that. I have been looking at the Tesco's ones, With all the children using the printer I am going through Lexmark ones like water. And they are so expensive. I'll go out today and get one. Thanks ..Pat

badger

badger Report 4 Sep 2004 08:49

Yes try one or two of your local [small] computer places first cause the last lot i bought was £20 for two sets on special offer [so i bought two sets for £40] i know a bargain when i see one.[one set by the way was one black and two colour].fred ptfg.

Debbi

Debbi Report 4 Sep 2004 12:33

Hi try here, cheap,p and p free and they last ages. http://www(.)choicestationery(.)com/acatalog/index(.)html remove the brackets. Hope this helps Debbi xxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Sep 2004 12:36

We buy our cartridges from www(.)7dayshop(.)com they are a lot cheaper for the genuine ones because the firm is in Guernsey, pay postage but not duty. Ann Glos

Theresa

Theresa Report 4 Sep 2004 14:23

Hello there, I refill my own cartridges, but mainly the black ink one, definatley worth the trouble, the color and photo cartridges dont give as good a result. Regards Theresa Melbourne Australia

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Sep 2004 15:36

Hi, its just a thought, but it is probably more economical to leave your printer switched on..........each time it is switched on, it probably goes through a nozzle priming routine which uses ink Bob Ps Elisabeth, thats what my manual says, I dare say that idletime /printing time must really be the decider. if the printer is used several times a day, for a page at a time, its prob best to leave it on. but one page a week, then the opposite would likely be best.........

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 4 Sep 2004 16:22

Bob, As an alternative to your theory, I was told more than a year ago by another GC/GR member, not to leave the printer on when not in use as the small amount of heat generated would dry up the ink. (Just a theory, don't want to start an argument!!) Elisabeth

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 4 Sep 2004 17:38

I use an "inkrite, high quality ink cartridge", they are very cheap (can't remember the price) and mine last for ages . . . . and I do use the printer a lot! www . inkrite . c o m

Linda

Linda Report 4 Sep 2004 19:01

Hi, I use www.choicestationery(.)com Find them really good & quick, postage is free & first class. I can get 6 black (compatibles) for £8.99 & 6 colour for £12.99. Granted I only have a Epson C40 but even so an Epson black is around £17 each!. Lynn.

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 4 Sep 2004 19:46

Hi Joanne, Try mouse2house(.)com I get all my printing supplies from them. Free delivery, and virtually next day delivery. and cheap too,Should definately give them a try.

Valice in

Valice in Report 4 Sep 2004 19:57

We have used the correct ones from PC world price £37, had them refilled at a cost of £31, and bought a set from a company found online based in Isle of Wight at a cost of £14.50, hubby reckons we'll be using the latter again.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 4 Sep 2004 20:06

Obviously there can be different quality of cartridges but printers do fail using the genuine stuff . I bought the first ever true “photo” printer (Epson stylus color) in 1995 for around £460 pounds . And that eventually clogged up with genuine carts. With decent printers available for around £40 these days you have to decide if it is worth the risk. If the carts cost £20 then it doesn’t take long to “save” a new printer. I would certainly gamble. It shouldn’t be like this, cartridges should be far cheaper (like CD’s DVD’s etc) but that’s how it is. It’s a good idea to use you printer on a regular basis just to keep things “flowing“. Bob

Karen

Karen Report 5 Sep 2004 01:57

nudge

Sprack

Sprack Report 5 Sep 2004 07:37

can anyone advise me please, my son bought some new ink cartridges for his epsom printer and now the colours are not right, do you think it was naff cartridges or does something need adjusting. thanks in advance. jenny