General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopting a Greyhound

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 4 Sep 2004 11:05

For many years it has been my wish to adopt an ex-racing greyhound when I retire. Although that time is not yet upon me, hopefully one of us two elderly people will be home for much of the time next year. In recent evenings I have visited most of the sites, both here and across the Atlantic, on the subject and have read and bookmarked those I thought could guide me. Perhaps some of you lovely GC people out there could suggest any I may have missed. What I hope for is your input on the subject and any tips, personal stories on your greyhound or anything a novice like me would need to know. One plus is that I like walking and would not find that a problem. Would I really need a six-foot fence? Can you get a greyhound that would keep the local cats away without harming them? Do they really take over the house if you let them? Am at your mercy kind readers, so please feel free to tell me what I should know. Am very pro dogs, but felt if we couldn't be around for a pet I should content myself with something smaller perhaps in a cage, Thank you to all.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2004 11:18

Hi Chris - oh Greyhounds are lovely dogs, we had an ex racer years and years ago,l 'm talking when l was about 12yrs old,l'm now ancient lol,her name was Megan, sadly she broke her leg badly and had to be put to sleep - she loved running on the Sussex downs - some say they only need 20 min walks as with Lurchers,but l think they will walk as far as you want within reason - l do hope so cause we're going to look at the Dogs Trust(Evesham) today where they have loads of Lurchers from Ireland, well they did a few weeks ago, and we could very well book one. Baz from Essex has recently bought another Lurcher pup, so he would be very good for more info - he searched everywhere for this one. l do wish you luck and l will let you know how l get on - WE DO have a cat and there are a few in neighbourhood, so it could be difficult as most are bred to chase the Hare!!!!:o( Jude sarf wales

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 4 Sep 2004 11:30

Chris My son has a Greyhound --he adopted her from our local rescue center she is about 2 year's old and is a lovely natured dog. She was very timid at first with men --may have been abused and wasn't used to being in the house. What a transformation! They don't seem to need as much exercise as you think and she hasn't taken over the house. They certainly seem to make good pets---good luck and if you need me to ask him anything i will. Ann

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2004 11:48

Oh my word - l have just been on the Dogs Trust website(www(.)dogstrust(.)co(.)uk - they have a tour of the Shoreham Centre - you need to click on the bit that tells you where their centres are,then Shoreham is at the top right. The whole centre is new - this is where we first looked for a dog when we got our Lady (not from Dogs trust though) one of the dogs we reserved was an Eygyptian Faroh Hound dog called Eygypt - he came from some kennells with approx 30 others that had to be closed down - in one of the kennels that they show in the demonstration were one if not 2 Faroh Hounds, l wonder if one was Eygypt, daft l know, but you don't very often see them - anyway just watching the video has got me crying again cause it had many other memories regarding dog and dog walking with my son - daft old bat that l am:o) Off't now - hubby will be here soon. Byeeeeeeeeeeeee Jude sarf wales

Fairy

Fairy Report 4 Sep 2004 12:42

Strangly enough they need surprisingly little excersice. I used to work with Greyhounds at Hendon dog track. They were the most affectionate dogs I had ever come across. I used to get told off for patting and stroking them. I had a favourite one called Aggie, when she got too old for the job they asked me if I would like her, but I could'nt have her as I was living in a one room bed sit at the time. I did try so hard to get her a home but failed and she was put down and it broke my heart. I'll never forget Aggie. Jo.

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 4 Sep 2004 12:48

I have a 3 year old whippet/greyhound, and she does keep the local cats away by chasing them, she never tries to catch them although I am sure she could. She is very gentle and loving and great with the grandchildren. Meg gets on well with all the other dogs in the family. She has not taken over the house, although she insists on being in the bathroom when you have a shower! I can live with that and I think they make super pets. (Meg does not have a lot of exercise as I am disabled, but I do play with her in the garden along with my border collie) Christine xx

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 4 Sep 2004 12:49

I have not got a 6 ft fence. Christine xx

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 4 Sep 2004 12:52

Ps Forgot to say Son's greyhound --Maggie also plays and gets along well with other Son's dog who is a border collie. I would have one tomorrow if i was looking for a dog!

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 4 Sep 2004 16:17

Hi Chris, I could sit here for hours telling you how wonderful greyhounds are!! We adopted one from a rescue centre 5 years ago, and she is the sweetest natured dog. Lily (full name Diamond Lil) does like to lay on the furniture, but she curls up really small. They don`t need a lot of exercise, Lil normally lets us know when she`s had enough, by stopping dead and refusing to go any further! We were told that she wouldn`t get on with other animals, but 2 years ago we were offered a German shepherd and after a weekend trial they were the best of friends. I would say a high fence is a good idea. We didn`t think we needed one, until the day Lil spotted a squirrel in our neighbours garden, we now know greyhounds can jump 3 foot fences (but they can`t climb trees!). Rebecca

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 4 Sep 2004 18:31

Hi Chris, my cousins have 2 rescued greyhounds and have had various other rescued greyhounds before these two. Their daughter worked (maybe still does?) at a kennel for rescued greyhounds, so you could say they like them! They'd definitely recommend them. I'd love to have one, but as we have 5 rescue cats that's not a good idea! So we content ourselves with taking grub to the local Dogs Trust where they have some as inmates! When you get your dog/dogs, give him/her/them a hug from me, won't you. All happiness, Glenys.

Chris

Chris Report 4 Sep 2004 20:24

Thank you to all that have replied. You are a wonderful lot out there, but you knew that anyway. Should I adopt a female I have the name Molly in mind. That just happens to be the name of my sister-in-law, but I'm sure she won't mind. She's a dog lover and has a great sense of humour. Thanks again Chris.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2004 20:35

Hiya - we are back from dog hunting, to save me typing it all out agin you can read all about it on the thread by David Bennet - "Do you believe in Ghosts". We left home approx 1.30pm and got back (after eating out) about 7pm - 7.30pm ish. Chris - thank you for your email - good luck in your search. Molly is a lovely name. l had planned that my next dog would be called Tomba, in fact l wanted Lady to be called that, but decided as she was 6yrs it was'nt really fare. Our next one - well take alook at the thread l have mentioned!!!!!:o) Jude sarf wales