General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Found! The OTHER Isle of Man!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 4 Sep 2004 21:50

I recently posted a request for sightings of another Isle of Man not the one we all know. We all had a good laugh, no-one had ever heard of another Isle of Man, including lots of people who come from Lancashire. Well, Ive found it! It is indeed a small area of Lancashire, near Croston and was called the Isle of Man in the 13th and 14th century. Today there is still standing a farm in the area called Isle of Man Farm. All this throws my search for my 3xGt Grandmother up in the air, she states on census that she was born IOM Lancs. I always assumed the Lancs bit was some daft transcriber and had found what I thought was her birth and that of her siblings, parents and grandparents on the Real Iale of Man. It took me three years to do that! We always wondered how my 3xGF managed to meet a woman from the Isle of Man as he didnt seem to move much further than the pub for most of his life. However, this new Isle of Man in Lancashire is only a few miles from where they lived all their married life. Oh dear, just goes to show, NEVER assume anything, not even geographical "facts"

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 4 Sep 2004 21:55

Perhaps Linda has heard of it Marjorie, give her a shout on Grampa Bill's site!...

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2004 22:22

Hi Marjorie, I live about 10 miles from Croston and I have never heard of it either!! I wonder if the Glossop Derby where my great grandfather was born is somewhere other than where I think it is because I can't find him there!! Margaret