General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frustration.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fairy

Fairy Report 5 Sep 2004 11:10

Being the sort of determined person I am, I have been searching for my Granfather as I never knew who he was. It was all hush hush in the family. I sent off for my fathers birth certificate which I received, but the name of father was blank. No clues there. I hav'nt spoken to my father for many years but know his address. Four weeks ago I sent a letter to him asking for information. I still have no reply and I'm not holding my breath for one. I've written this on here to get it off my chest because this genelodogy thing is stressful and time consuming. Jo.

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 5 Sep 2004 12:11

He may not know himself - after all he wasn't there at the conception. It would depend whether he got any info from his mother or other relatives and if it was all hushed up he may not have felt able to ask. I can empathise coz i have a similar situation - grandfather unknown. My father has the impression that his father may have already been married - naughty, naughty! But cheer up and double the effort on the maternal side! Beth :))

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 5 Sep 2004 12:40

I also found myself in a similar situation. I was looking for the father of 2 children born in the 1850s. When I got their birth certs there was a line through the fathers name. I got their marriage certs and low and behold it gave a fathers name as David Leighton Jubletroop checked the census for me and found David was the lodger of the family (skeleton and closet spring to mind!!) Have you got the marriage cert?? Sue xx