General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

bullying at school.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2004 19:04

ime breaking,my self-imposed exile,because ime really upset,by the death of a young girl,and the attempted death of her friend,in my home town of neath,in south wales. its early days,but itv news has said,the little girl who died,was afraid to go back to school,where she was being bulied. i dont know wot the answer is,if there is one..i just think its wrong,for youngsters to feel this bad. bryan.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 5 Sep 2004 19:11

This is on the increase and it just has to be stopped. These poor children are being being let down - but who's to blame? Have we taken too much authority away from our teachers - a teacher only has to raise their voice these days and they are up for assualt! Most schools say they have a procedure to tackle bully's at school now - why is it not working for these few that end taking their lifes? Is no one listening to these poor children? Bullying has always been apart of the school playground . I never had a "procedure" for this in my school days we had to get on with it - so what's gone wrong? Very sad news Much happiness debi

Kim

Kim Report 5 Sep 2004 19:12

Oh no; I didn't realise that was the reason for the suicide attempts. It's so very sad. If it ever got like that for my son, I really don't know what I'd do... Kim x

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2004 19:22

I work in a school with very few problems and we have policies to sort things out - BUT we can only deal with what we see/what children choose to tell us. If they are too scared to talk, no-one can help. You can only do something about a problem when you know it exists. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2004 19:26

Bryan, I was sad anyway to hear the story on the news, but even sadder now I know the reason. It's dreadful that children can be made to feel so desperate by another child. It's something that has always worried me, and I've tried to drill it into my son that he must always come and talk to us if he got distressed to that point. Fortunately he is at a school that doesn't tolerate bullying in any form, and I work at a school which has the same approach. I really can't understand how some schools are so blinkered to what's going on right in front of their eyes and don't do anything about it. Terribly sad, and what a waste of a young life. Mandy x

Lisa

Lisa Report 5 Sep 2004 19:39

brian my daughter was bullied and she was actually sabbed witha pencil in class.i tried to see the head but couldn't see him.it took two weeks to sort this out and even then the school denied any knowldge of the incident happening and the deputy head actually said the police if involved would not treat the stabbing incident as assult.went to my local police station and they said it would have been serious enough to become an assult charge which would have involved them.no joy with the school so went to my mp. mike hancock and was dealt with straight away by the education authorities but only was dealt with when the m.p got involved .the school didn't even acknowledge that i made a complaint and no letter was sent to me via the school.this is not an isolated case in my daughters scholll or other school.the school seem to want to ignore the bullying issue and sadly this is the result.more should be donex

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2004 19:58

when my eldest daughter was aged about ten,i went into her bedroom,to look through her cds,she had quite good taste,even at that age...well,i noticed she had wrote a poem on one of the covers,which i thought was sweet..then i kooked again,and thought..bloody hell..its about dying. so that nite,i sat her down,and we had a long talk,and yes,she was unhappy,but nothing more...i helped with the reason for her being unhappy..bullying..and it was fine after that..but i still checked every week or two,children are too precious. bryan.

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 5 Sep 2004 20:36

Brian I was at school during late 1950 and into the late 1960. If there was any bullying the teachers and head teacher were able to handle it. Not only that we were to frightened to bully because we did not know what would happen to us if caught. Has being politically correct gone too far and the victim does not really matter any more. Christine xx

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 5 Sep 2004 21:47

i was bullied at school till one day a very wise woman said to me stand up to them and simply say i feel very sorry for you must be very unhappy inside to pick on someone smaller than you to make your self feel better i did & from that day they never picked on me again the moral is if a bully can see you are scaredof them they will keep bulling you but if you stand up to them & show them your not scared they will back off

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2004 22:22

i saw a programme,a few weeks back,where a school had completely irradicated bullying,by putting the senior year in charge of it...it seems kids with problems would talk to older kids,rather than their parents...maybe this is the way to go...if i was a headteacher,i would certainly give it some thought. best wishes...bryan.