General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

meaning of nickname help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 8 Sep 2004 14:00

i'm not sure if it's an army thing but evryone with the surname wilson seems to get nicknamed 'tug'. can anyone tell me why this is please? if i'm first to get the answer i get tea and cakes brought to me all week!! paul...

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Sep 2004 14:07

It is not just Army, Navy too. Don't know the reason though. Same as I could never find out why my dad, who was in the R Navy was called Derby Allen, or my husband also in the R Navy was called a Janner because he came from Devon. Even now some of our friends call him Jan, and also another friend of ours also from Devon. Ann Glos

Anna

Anna Report 8 Sep 2004 14:13

Hiya Paul,got this from Royal Navy website SURNAME Wilson NICKNAME Tug EXPLANATION Derived from the nickname of a former First Sea Lord (1909-11) Admiral of the Fleet Sir Arthur Kynvett-Wilson, also awarded the VC when fighting with the Naval Brigade at the Battle of El Teb in 1884 in the Sudan during the Mahdi rebellion. Admiral Wilson’s nickname reputedly comes from an incident when he repeatedly ordered a battleship to try and come alongside and in exasperation offered her Captain a tug to assist Hope it helps Anna :-)

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 8 Sep 2004 14:17

anna, ann, and baz, thanks ever so much, you'll be glad to know i won! this site is brill!! thanks again, paul...