General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Locality or Town in Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 10 Sep 2004 08:09

I believe my great grandfather was born C.1825 in a place called 'Thresses Clop' or somewhere similar. I think it is in or near Dumphries but am not sure. Can anybody 'over there' shed some light on my mystery and enlighten me as to where this location is.

Lynne

Lynne Report 10 Sep 2004 14:12

If you give us his name and any other details we can try and track him down for you. Lynne

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 10 Sep 2004 17:07

I "googled" it but to no avail I'm afraid. Lorraine x

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Sep 2004 17:29

There's a place on my road atlas west of Dumfries called Terregles - could that look like Thresses if written badly? nell

Brian

Brian Report 13 Sep 2004 13:51

Thanks to all of you who have attempted to locate this town or whatever of Thresses Clop (or maybe Crop). My great grandfather was rather naughty and convicted on various charges of housebreaking and stealing and was sent out to this fine country of Australia aboard the convict ship Pyramus which left London on 22 November 1838 and arrived in Tasmania on 23 March 1839. His name was William James Callander (or maybe Callender) and I'm led to believe he could have had an alias Rafferty. This little colonist really appreciates your efforts. regards to all, Brian Callander