General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm in shock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa Ht

Lisa Ht Report 10 Sep 2004 12:17

Yesterday (only 7 days after returning to school) my 11 year old son came out with all the info for starting comp next (2005) September and we have to make a decision by the 22 october about which school he will go to. All the miums (and some Dads) all stood there with a blank look on their faces. I guess we are just not ready for our little ones to go to 'big school' yet.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Sep 2004 12:18

im dreading it & my sons only just started year 5 & is only 9. E x

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 10 Sep 2004 12:23

Lisa you're lucky then we got our first lot of info when our daughter was in yr5!!!! i had all this stuff last yr we had to make the desicion by the end of october as well. But i wanted my daughter to go to the grammar school, but if i put that first and she didn't do well in the test, then she'd have probs getting in to another school as it wasn't her first choice.My problem was they don't sit the exam until november so i couldn't even ask her how she thought she done and base my choice on that. I took advice from her head teacher and luckly it paid off she is now in the grammar school and really enjoying herself. My sister in the same boat as you and thay got their letter at the end of last term as well, and some more on the first day back. But from what i can gather through reading her letter the system has changed slightly this yr and seems to be fairer. good luck to anyone who is doing this Shelli

N

N Report 10 Sep 2004 12:27

I work in a primary school, most parents know where they want there children to go. me i'd always look at each schools ofsted reports first before i'd pick one. It is hard to get it right. All parents worry about it. children seem to be growing up alot faster than they use to, scary, as childhood is sooooooo short, but your an adult for a very long time. Too me children have so much pressure, they lose half of there childhood. good luck to you all.

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 10 Sep 2004 13:33

I dread my son going to "big" school already and he is only five - how I will cope nearer 11 I don't know. This is only the second week he's back at school and I am sick of all the bickering etc already going on. Lx

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Sep 2004 14:32

lisa i know the feeling it's horrible.when they go to school for the first time it's hard to let them go and for them to be less independant on you.but as they get older it gets easier.the only thing that changes are the hormonal tantrums and my daughter refuses to hold my hand when crossing the roadxxxx(:

Lisa Ht

Lisa Ht Report 14 Sep 2004 11:34

Glad to hear i'm not the only mum going through this......

R.B.

R.B. Report 14 Sep 2004 12:03

Hi Lisa, Like you i received a letter,form and info on the local comp. school. I cannot believe how quickly my daughter has gone through primary, my heart was in my mouth at seeing how many children go to this school- something like 2,500. I feel for all parents in our situation.. I hope all goes well for your son. lol, Liz

Lucky

Lucky Report 14 Sep 2004 12:43

My son is 10 tomorrow and in year 5. He will be almost 12 when he starts in 2 years. I'm dreading it. The secondary school here in Harwich is awful. We are going to have to try for another school a good 10 miles away. It's going to be a nightmare. Diane ps already been through it twice, doesn't get any easier.

Lisa Ht

Lisa Ht Report 22 Sep 2004 14:38

We are going for a visit next Tuesday to the local comp. Still think its too early but will let you know how we get on Lotsa luv lisa xxx

Lisa Ht

Lisa Ht Report 30 Sep 2004 12:04

Update!!! Went to the comp on Tuesday with hubbie, son and loads of other parents. I't's so big i'm sure Liam will spend all his time wandering around aimlessly and receive more late marks than he deserves. I know its just me being over protective cos he can't wait to start and i just want my baby back........

Carol

Carol Report 30 Sep 2004 12:43

Not having children myself, I am a bit behind the times. In my day, we didnt get a choice, it all depended on how well you did in the 11 plus. If you passed highly you went to grammar, if you passed less highly you went to the tech and if you failed you went to the secondary modern. I was on the borderline and had an interview with the tech, but failed that and went to the secondary. Mum thought I would be better off being top there than bottom at the tech. Thinking back, maybe the tech would have been better as I could have worked my way up. At the secondary, I had nowhere to go except stay at the top.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Sep 2004 12:56

My baby has just gone back into Year 11 (GCSEs urgh!!) and next week we have been invited to the 6th form open evening - already lol !! Also I work in a First school (Rec-Year 4) and the children had their forms for middle school about a week after they went back! Mandy :)

Lisa Ht

Lisa Ht Report 15 Oct 2004 14:14

Hi Linda Had a similar tour yesterday and after speaking with the deputy head and seeing all the new facilities my mind has been put at rest (a little). I'm sure by September next year we mums will be able to let them go off to comp and then shed a few tears about them growing up and moving on..... Lisa xx

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 15 Oct 2004 14:32

yeh i had mine for my eldset to boy it doesnt seem 5 mins since i brought him home from hospital now he's nearly ready for secondrey school sceary thought