General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fancy St Folkestone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 10 Sep 2004 16:19

Does anyone have a street map or directory for Folkestone which shows where Fancy Street is? It is mentioned in the 1840 Pigots trade directory and also on the 1841 census but I checked the 1904 Kelly's in the library and it did not exist then. Anything in between would help! Cheers+

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Sep 2004 16:31

If you have access to the 1841 census, you could see which roads were before and after it and then see if they still exist. nell

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Sep 2004 18:15

I'm not a 'native' of this area, but I will try and find out. Do you mean you checked in Folkestone library? Gwyn.... near Folkestone.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 13 Sep 2004 08:20

Thanks for your comments - yes it was Folkestone library, unfortunately I chose a day when a jobsworth was on the desk - she kept telling people off for talking and I was too chicken to ask for any more info! The 1841 census I checked was online so I had only searched on surnames. Steph+

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Sep 2004 09:00

Hi Stephenie Have just looked in Kents street map book and there is no name of Fancy Street or anything like it sorry Margaret

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Sep 2004 16:01

I went to Folkestone library today. I saw Fancy Street on a map dated 1874 but sometime after that the name changed to Fenchurch Street. It ran between Harvey Street and St. Michaels Street, just to the west of,and parallel to, Dover Street(now Dover Road) Hope this helps.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 23 Sep 2004 08:27

Hi Gwyneth, Thanks very much for looking that up for me, I have a 1906 map of Folkestone which shows Great Fenchurch Street so I now know exactly where you mean. Thanks also to everyone who has replied, it's appreciated. Happy hunting+

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Sep 2004 09:28

Folkestone library have a local card index, by surname, for several of the census. It will show a page reference and if you then ask at the desk they will help you find the correct census, either on microfilm or photo copies of schedules.