General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

People falling out!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 10 Sep 2004 20:28

I have been a member of this site since November and one of the things about it that has struck me as odd is the amount of people falling out! There seems to be a couple of things that get a reaction. One, when someone sends an e-mail and doesn't get a reply and two when someone does not get a thankyou for some hard work that they have carried out. My philosophy is that if someone does not reply (I recently sent out 17 emails and had 8 replies) is be grateful for the one that I receive. On the second point, I do wonder about the people that offer help and then complain that there is no thanks. Yes, anyone with any manners would say thanks, but why get all het up when the ignorant do not do so? It can seem a bit like spitting the dummy. The common pattern seems to be that the 'spitters' then gets loads of messages saying "please don't leave" etc. Goodness me, are we adults or what? If you want to help then do it for helping sake and not for gratitude, expect nothing and be pleasantly suprised by the many polite/grateful ones that there are. Does this seem harsh? Am I going to be hated by all?, hope not, just thought it time to speak my piece.

Sue Lambrini Smith

Sue Lambrini Smith Report 10 Sep 2004 21:26

hi jeanie, i really could not agree more. when i do look ups, i do it because i want to, and only when i have the time to spare . when i get a result, i am probably as pleased as the person it is for ! and i never bother to check who has said thankyou and who hasnt. so i cannot comment on how few or how many say thankyou or not- i do not have the time to keep a tally LOL but i do know how many friends i have made on this site, and i do enjoy now opening my mail box and not just getting spam. instead i get joviall messages, and some cracking e mails. i enjoy it, the trouble on the boards is like water off a ducks back to me, so yes jeanie, well said. sue.[ who is usually on records, cross eyed from looking through too many census lol]

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 10 Sep 2004 21:42

Hi Jeanie, In a democratic society,we all have the right to speak our minds. Whether or not my/your/anyones views upset anyone, is beside the point.The point is,that the person doing the `speaking` should be respected as an individual who has his/her own opinions,and should not be pilloried,because they`re opinions might differ from someone else.This is democracy,and should be respected by all. Jeanie, good on you. Baz. (Barry)

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 10 Sep 2004 22:56

Gosh guys! I was expecting a hail of abuse so very glad to see my message was understood. Best wishes to all Jeanie

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Sep 2004 23:16

Jeanie, Agree with you totally. When I was actually doing some research (many moons ago), I got a tad frustrated at peoples rudeness, however I never vented that, I just accepted that some people have no manners. Some people just like to moan though I think (and, as someone said earlier, that is my view, and should be respected as such). Paul