General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Forgot to Mention

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 14 Sep 2004 20:57

Got the I.T timetable situation sorted out. All fits in nicely now. But listen to this, We have to do compulsory General Studies, P.E and Community Service as well. I have no intention in doing the community service. I came to the college to get my A levels not to do what criminals get for punishment. As if us students haven't got enough to do!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2004 21:05

Daniel Good old "general studies"! That's what they made me do because I was only doing 2 A-levels instead of 3, way back in 1970 something. I dimly recall that we had blocks of topics, one of which was Nazi Germany (funny how children in this country are only too aware of how evil Hitler was, but have barely any idea of the millions of people Stalin slaughtered). nell

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 14 Sep 2004 21:05

i agree i know a few bad boys in this area that would (well maybe not ) benefit from a bit of community service.

Daniel

Daniel Report 14 Sep 2004 21:07

These general studies are just discussions about Moral Issues, the news etc. No test so I might as well be studiying for, well, my A levels perhaps???

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2004 21:10

Hi again Dan - really pleased to hear you've got your IT sorted out, that was ridiculous! But even more ridiculous to hear about the community service! Mandy :)

Annie

Annie Report 14 Sep 2004 21:14

Daniel My son (16) completely agrees with you. He got a number of GCSEs including an A in IT, A* in Maths and B in English, On top of doing an A level in Further maths in a year pls AS in Biology, Physics and Chemistry (his choice) he has to do Key skills communication and IT. (erm?). Back in 1842 (my youth) I remember doing A level english and having to do something called Use of English .... never quite managed to work out what it was for ! Good luck to you anyway Annie

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 14 Sep 2004 21:23

Annie blame the government! They dictated that key skills are part of the syllabus. His grades will mean he doesn't need to do external assessment at lower levels but would not absolve him in any way from level 3. His Further Maths means he doesn't need to do AoN cos he already has level 3.

Annie

Annie Report 14 Sep 2004 21:24

It will give me great pleasure to blame the government! XXX A XXX

Daniel

Daniel Report 14 Sep 2004 21:39

I'm sure I'll manage. I think I'll just choose not to know about the bit of Com. Service. Not like the days of 1842 eh Annie? :-)

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Sep 2004 15:50

dan i think that's wrong.it's differcult to get these criminals to do this work.they have no respext or regret in the crimes they do.you have done nothing wrong and you have to do it.i wouldn't be happy danXXXXX(:

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Sep 2004 17:03

don't people on community service do all that then.thought they didxxx(:

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 15 Sep 2004 17:04

WHAT??? Daniel thats not fair, when i was at college we only had to do compulsery IT Keyskills in first year and General Studies in second or third year...they shouldnt make you do all of them!!!