General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Town or City

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 18 Sep 2004 16:02

can anyone tell me the difference between a town and city please. Thank you,Julie

Julie

Julie Report 18 Sep 2004 16:19

Terri thanks for that my boyfriend said the same,although i said London was a city he said he was not sure so i said don't we have something called St Paul's LOL

Geoff

Geoff Report 18 Sep 2004 16:29

It's a status which is granted by some sort of decree - Swansea's football team only changed name from Swansea Town to Swansea City in 1970 so I would guess the town became a city around the same town. Derby only became a city in 1977 as part of the Silver Jubilee business. I seem to think there was some sort of competition for a town to become a city as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations and Preston won it. I have now found this which tells all about it: http://www.municipalyearbook.*co.uk/index.asp?pageid=265

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 18 Sep 2004 17:14

Brighton was changed to City status about 2 years ago when it joined councils with Hove to become larger. Now it's Brighton and Hove Council and all the house prices shot up virtually over night! Sheila

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 18 Sep 2004 17:28

i put a thread on about that awhile ago aprently a vlliage has a idot a town has a cryor & a city has a slicker but seriously a town has to have a certain amount of people living there to be classed as a town & a city has a cathedral

Speedy

Speedy Report 18 Sep 2004 17:51

Wolverhampton is classed as a city now, but not too sure if it has a Cathedral

Sprack

Sprack Report 18 Sep 2004 18:00

southampton is a city but we dont have a cathedral. jenny x

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 18 Sep 2004 18:11

maybe it's just all to do with how many people live there

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 18 Sep 2004 18:14

I`m sure it has something to do with the population levels.

Geoff

Geoff Report 18 Sep 2004 19:23

I don't think so - Wells is the smallest city in England with under 10,000. It's all a case of whether or not, at some time in history, the monarch has seen fit to grant it City status.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 18 Sep 2004 20:31

There is no clear definition. Leeds city has the town hall at its centre. It's like saying "how old is an adult" or is it a "tree or a shrub" Bob

Debbie

Debbie Report 18 Sep 2004 21:38

I have always heard that a place is a City if it has a Cathedral in it, but I have always wondered why Southampton hasnt got one.

Lindy

Lindy Report 18 Sep 2004 22:51

How very interesting! Over here you are classed as a city according to the population, and as there are a fair amount of British German and Dutch residents. We in Lagoa are now a city.....but it is still a village. No hospital, just a medical centre that keeps office hours, a little post for the cops and no police station. We have churches that date from the 1800s but no cathedral. In the 1700s there was an earthquake that swollowed up half of the Algarve and Lisbon. In some places you can still see walls. Silves the next city has a cathedral and a castle. Lindy;-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Sep 2004 23:25

I think the commonly held view that a city must have a cathedral is true with a few exceptions; the Queen grants city status to a town every few years I beleive - the town in which I live, is referred to as the "Borough and New City of Milton Keynes" however strictly speaking it isn't actually a city - it missed out when the last "charter" was granted, I think that was the occasion on which it was given to Brighton.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Sep 2004 01:57

i find this very interesting,as i live just outside croydon,in surrey..its the biggest town outside of london,in the country...yet,the last charter came down against croydon...so it leaves it open to speculation. bryan.

Sprack

Sprack Report 19 Sep 2004 12:34

david you can send one to southampton then but I dont know where we will put it, maybe in the middle of southampton common lol. jenny x

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Sep 2004 14:32

Liverpool's two cathedrals are C of E and Roman Catholic. I remember once having fun trying to explain to a tourist the difference between Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral. According to Collins English Dictionary, Millennium edition: city - (in Britain) a large town that has received this title from the Crown: usually the seat of a bishop. town - a densely populated urban area, typically smaller than a city and larger than a village, having some local powers of government and a fixed boundary. village - a small group of houses in a country area, larger than a hamlet hamlet - (Britain) a village without its own church nell

Julie

Julie Report 19 Sep 2004 18:45

Thank you all for youe replies Julie